Pelosi "Let's take over child care."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pelosi "Let's take over child care."

Under what constitutional power do they find for this?

‘Princess Nancy’ Pelosi calls Cain ‘clueless’; vows to do more for child care

Smaller Text Larger Text Text Size
    Print
    Reprints

By Melinda Henneberger, Published: November 17

GOP presidential hopeful Herman Cain drew applause and guffaws by referring to Nancy Pelosi as “Princess Nancy” during a debate last week. Her reaction? “Really, it’s another one of those clueless statements — clueless in that you don’t say something like that,” she said in a wide-ranging interview in her office. “I don’t know that he had any malicious intent, but it trivialized the fact that I was speaker of the House.”

You can disagree with the House minority leader, of course, or spend at least $65 million running 161,203 ads against her, as Republicans did in the past election cycle. But she hasn’t been slowed or trivialized. Even out of power now and with approval ratings that suggest those ads portraying her as the Wicked Witch found an audience, Pelosi has worked overtime to take back the House — attending 311 fundraising events nationwide and bringing home $26 million for Democrats.

Comments

Weigh In
    Corrections?

inShare

Video
    Herman Cain referred to former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi as "Princess Nancy" during the Nov. 9 GOP debate.

Herman Cain referred to former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi as "Princess Nancy" during the Nov. 9 GOP debate.

Gallery

 It has been almost a year since the California congresswoman relinquished the speakership of the House. In an effort to win it back, she’s become the most potent Democratic fund-raiser other than the president.

More on this Story

Read more at PostPolitics.com
    Romney’s familiar Iowa hurdle: Skeptical evangelicals
    Wounded warriors entangled in more red tape
    Gingrich defends lucrative consulting career

View all Items in this Story

Last week, the California congresswoman hit five cities in five days, barnstorming for money to try to win the 25 more seats it would take to regain control. And if that happens — or when, according to her — at the top of her to-do list, she says, will be “doing for child care what we did for health-care reform” — pushing comprehensive change.

There’s a bit of symmetry to that: Amid allegations that he has been disrespectful to women, Cain refers to the highest-ranking female official in U.S. history as a princess. And when Pelosi takes a shot based on gender, she’s not afraid to mention that next on her agenda is the mother of all women’s issues: child care. Under fire for health-care legislation that conservatives consider a big-government power grab, she’s happy to promise more of the same.

Of the need for child-care legislation, she says, “I could never get a babysitter — have five kids in six years and no one wants to come to your house. . . . And everywhere I go, women say the same thing” about how hard it is to find the kind of reliable care that would make their family lives calmer and work lives more productive. When it comes to “unleashing women” in a way that would boost the economy, she says, “this is a missing link.”

Congress did pass such a bill, in 1971, but President Richard M. Nixon vetoed it because he thought it would undermine families and force them to put children in government-run centers.

“One of the great pieces of unfinished business is high-quality child care; I wonder why we just can’t do that,’’ Pelosi said. Her spokesman Drew Hammill said later that she doesn’t have a specific child-care proposal at the ready; that’s what the legislative process is for. But the Nixon-era legislation of which she spoke approvingly subsidized child care for low-income parents and was available to anyone who wanted to pay for it. “She sees this as the next big problem to tackle,’’ Hammill said.

On ‘princess’ theme

Asked what she thought of the cheering that followed Cain’s mention of “Princess Nancy,” she said: “This is the same audience that gave [Rick] Perry a standing ovation when no one knew what he was on.”
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

The liberal Washington Post isn't even worth being toilet paper these days.

Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

What is that ignorant whore going to do? Let me guess, propose that child care is a human right? How can a service, like health care, be a human right?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Yep, it's a human right as well. Hell, you don't have to do anything under Dems. Housing, health care, child care, it's all provided to you provided you give up just a bit more freedom

Comment

Wow, we've seen worst but this really pisses me off.

In our house I bust my ass so the wife can stay home with the twins. Others choose day cares and so forth. She has 5 kids in 6 years, then blames her problems on the system?

Maybe don't pop out so many children without a plan to have them cared for, one way or another. I'm not saying women have to stay home, but when you have kids you can either...

a. Have a stay at home parent.
          b. Have a family member care for them. (at cost)
          c. Day care/montessori...etc.

How is it the general tax payer's problem?

I hate doing the right thing, and some politicians thinking the slackers are the norm and we need to cater to them.

I get the feeling I'm going to work until the day I die and have paid more into the system than I'll have.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

That chick is stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
              Of the need for child-care legislation, she says, “I could never get a babysitter — have five kids in six years and no one wants to come to your house. . . . And everywhere I go, women say the same thing” about how hard it is to find the kind of reliable care that would make their family lives calmer and work lives more productive. When it comes to “unleashing women” in a way that would boost the economy, she says, “this is a missing link.”

Congress did pass such a bill, in 1971, but President Richard M. Nixon vetoed it because he thought it would undermine families and force them to put children in government-run centers.

“One of the great pieces of unfinished business is high-quality child care; I wonder why we just can’t do that,’’ Pelosi said. Her spokesman Drew Hammill said later that she doesn’t have a specific child-care proposal at the ready; that’s what the legislative process is for. But the Nixon-era legislation of which she spoke approvingly subsidized child care for low-income parents and was available to anyone who wanted to pay for it. “She sees this as the next big problem to tackle,’’ Hammill said.
              I dunno...how about people that want 5-6 kids not have 5-6 kids if they're not going to be a parent/can afford it?? How about parents raise their kids instead of gub'ment centers? How about the best high-quality child care is being a parent??

Also, FF could you please edit your copy-pastes to get rid of the extraneous stuff?
              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Sorry about that, but at least I'm remembering to put up the links now. Not bad for a waterhead

Comment

Sure, let's make it even more affordable for the clueless idiots to reproduce welfare machines. I've got a better idea. How about we build a big bonfire and throw the clueless in it, along with Nancy Pelosi. Now, that would be a grand sight.

Comment

This is the same Congress that declared Pizza to be a vegetable.

Comment

wht don't she help lower our taxes and raise our wages to match the cost of living... that way moms could stay home and provide proper care for the kids like they use to.
                      first class white trash

Comment

Originally posted by forbes View Post
                        wht don't she help lower our taxes and raise our wages to match the cost of living... that way moms could stay home and provide proper care for the kids like they use to.
                        Based off the article, she feels both parents should be entitled to a career. Which is fine, but families need to plan for it if that's what they want to do.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by forbes View Post
                          And why do you want to increase unemployment rates by upping the minimum wage again? And where is the constitutional power to decide what wages should be?

Comment

Originally posted by jasonw_2005 View Post
                            That chick is stupid
                            chick? she aint no chikc.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                              Based off the article, she feels both parents should be entitled to a career. Which is fine, but families need to plan for it if that's what they want to do.
                              *ding* *ding* *ding* We have a winner!

Just get rid of "entitled" with "want". They're not entitled to squat.
                              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Working...
                              X