Barney Frank now wants F&F disbanded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barney Frank now wants F&F disbanded

Barney Frank defender of Fannie Mae before housing market collapse now wants to abolish the government agency
    Posted by Kyle Witman Finance Wednesday, August 18th, 2010
    Barney Frank defender of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

Barney Frank defender of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

Rep Barney Frank (D) Massachusetts and chairman of the House Financial Services panel said on Tuesday that he believes that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac should be abolished. Frank also said “The only question is what do you put in their place.”

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac received $150 billion dollars in taxpayer bailout money back in 2008 when the democratic congress passed a bill that then president Bush signed saving the agency from collapsing. Between Fannie and Freddie and the Federal Housing Administration they back 90% of all new home loans.

Frank stated that “not everyone should be a home owner” and that the federal government should not be used as a “backstop” for the mortgage crisis.

Franks stance on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac is a stark turnaround from his position back in the Bush presidency when he and fellow democrats vigorously opposed the Bush administration’s efforts to rein in Fannie Mae who was forcing banks to give out loans to people who couldn’t afford them.

Back in September of 2003 Frank told the NY Times “These two entities – Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac – are not facing any kind of financial crisis. The more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing.”

Then in October of 2003 Frank said ”he worried the Treasury Department “would sacrifice activities that are good for consumers in the name of lowering the companies’ market risks.” When Republicans introduced a bill to Congress in 2005 to regulate Fannie Mae democrats led by Barney Frank and Chris Dodd killed the bill which ultimately led to the collapse of the housing market and eventually sent the country into a recession.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

I love how that lisping flame now blames the republicans for all that mess, because they didn't pay attention and "police" what was going on. LMFAO!

Comment

And now he says that not everyone deserves a home

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
        And now he says that not everyone deserves a home
        He said not everyone should be a "home owner", your statement twists it a bit. Not that I like or know anything about the guy but I'd agree not everyone should be a homeowner.

Comment

flip flop

Comment

He's finally gauged the political wind and has jumped the fence to try to get out in front of it. Too little, too late. Hard to argue with old videos of yourself defending what you now are trying to get rid of. Liberal flip-flop.

Comment

Originally posted by onemeangixxer7502 View Post
              He said not everyone should be a "home owner", your statement twists it a bit. Not that I like or know anything about the guy but I'd agree not everyone should be a homeowner.
              There is no difference between having a home and owning a house. You ca'nt have something you don't own

Comment

There is no difference between having a home and owning a house. You ca'nt have something you don't own
                the difference is renting, he thinks more people should rent that cant afford to own a home.
                ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

YEs there is there's a huuuuuuge diff between owning and renting.
                  Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
                  the difference is renting, he thinks more people should rent that cant afford to own a home.
                  I'd say its more of a people should that aren't responsible enough to own.

Comment

The really odd thing is that Barney Frank is fucking brilliant and had to have seen this coming. He just started thinking with his dick and dropped the ball big time.
                    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

He didn't say that, he said having (which is possessive) and owning (which is possessive). He said nothing about renting, or just 'living' in a home.

Stevo
                      Originally posted by SSMAN
                      ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                        He didn't say that, he said having (which is possessive) and owning (which is possessive). He said nothing about renting, or just 'living' in a home.

Stevo
                        Frank stated that “not everyone should be a home owner” People who aren't home owners are renters more than likely.... Over complicating what he's trying to say which is true not everyone should be home owners. Or part of it at least

Comment

Not really.

Buy your house, pay it off, and don't pay your "taxes" The feds take it from you.

So what is it your really own? Nothing, your renting from the feds. You just payed some one a big chunk of change to rent from the feds the house your in.

Spin it how ever it makes you feel better, but in the real sense of the word "own" you do not.

Comment

Originally posted by tazz007 View Post
                            Not really.

Buy your house, pay it off, and don't pay your "taxes" The feds take it from you.

So what is it your really own? Nothing, your renting from the feds. You just payed some one a big chunk of change to rent from the feds the house your in.

Spin it how ever it makes you feel better, but in the real sense of the word "own" you do not.
                            Let me guess you rent? let me know when you go to pay it of your rental and want to sell it......... You're going way off the reservation with that one, he simply stated some people don't need to be home owners.

Comment

Originally posted by tazz007 View Post
                              Not really.

Very true. That's why I liked Medina. She wanted to do away with property taxes. When this place is paid off, I should not be able to lose it to anyone for any reason outside of selling it

Comment

Working...
                              X