US Post Office to announce $10 Billion dollar loss this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Post Office to announce $10 Billion dollar loss this year

Here is comes again, shitloads of our money being wasted on overpaid lazy union employees.

With historic losses looming, Postal Service launches new ad campaign
    By Ed O’Keefe, Published: September 29

On the verge of reporting historic losses, the U.S. Postal Service is launching a new TV advertising campaign designed to slow the migration away from snail mail.

Americans watching college football games and news broadcasts in the next week may notice new ads from the agency — long known for its campy messages promoting Priority Mail shipping services. Now, the “If it fits, it ships” campaign will share airtime with two 30-second spots designed to remind customers that paper mail, unlike e-mail, can’t be hacked, and that letter carriers are still providing reliable and safe deliveries to doorsteps.

“A refrigerator has never been hacked,” an announcer says in the first message as an actress pins a paper bill to her fridge.

In the other ad, a smiling letter carrier is seen walking her route while an announcer reminds viewers that hand-delivered messages ensure that “important letters and information don’t get lost in thin air, or disappear with a click.”

“We’re not trying to be Luddites here. We’re not trying to say technology is bad. But the predictions of how fast customers would leave us were overstated,” said Joyce Carrier, manager of advertising and media planning for the Postal Service. “The switch has been much slower than originally anticipated.”

But are the new ads too little too late?

The Postal Service will announce Friday that it lost up to $10 billion this fiscal year, a historic sum triggered by declining mail volume and growing labor costs. The shortfall is forcing postal officials to renege on mandatory annual payments of about $5.5 billion required to prefund future retirement benefits.

As the Postal Service trims costs by closing post offices and processing facilities and by offering worker buyouts, it spent $145 million for all of its print, television and online advertising in 2010 — a roughly $40 million jump from previous years. That’s a fraction of the amount spent by UPS, FedEx and other national brands, Carrier said.

The Postal Service is willing to spend more ad dollars as new market research suggests customers still feel secure about using and receiving paper mail, Carrier said. And postal officials take no issue with carrying reams of junk mail to American households each year, knowing that marketing materials delivered to mailboxes guarantee a higher exposure rate for advertisers eager to reach mass audiences — even if most people throw the mail out.

With junk mail on the rise, more-profitable first-class mail is down in the last decade, dropping to 78 billion pieces delivered in 2010 from 103 billion pieces in 2001, according to the Postal Service.

Carrier said every 1 percent decline in overall mail volume equals $300 million in lost revenue. And with more declines anticipated, “we just want to slow it down,” she said.
    Not sure if you guys have noticed, but the Unions have the BALLS to run commercials on our local networks, blaming the government for causing the problem. These commercials have made me rage, and now I just want the whole damn postal service vaporized. They failed to adapt to technology, and they REFUSE the acknowledge the fucking internet!
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Privatize that shit!

Comment

The USPS is to information delivery what the 8-track tape is to an audiophile.

Comment

I still get bills via snail mails, but I pay them online. I think all I ever send over USPS is cards (holiday, birthday, etc) and the occasional package.
        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Working inside the 4 walls of the USPS, I can tell you they have been trying hard to cut back where they can. The Union protection, and to a larger extent, Congress have put them where they are today. They have seen and pretty well predicted the decline in mail volume since 1996. The problem is Congressman would get letters from little old ladies begging them "don't close my post office". The USPS has overpaid $70 BILLION into the retirement fund over the last 10 years because of Congress' mandates...if USPS did not have to do that, the trimming, cutting and scaling back they are already putting in place would have had them in the black for all of the last 5 years. So when this was pointed out to Congress and USPS asked for the money back, Congress said NO, it's already been leveraged to other agencies as loans. Ponzi scheme.

My job is as the center of the site closures and it looks bleak for a LOT of people. They are reducing mail processing facilities by the hundreds all across the country. There will be thousands out of work soon as overnight service will be abandoned as well as Saturday delivery if congress will finally allow it. By doing so, they can operate processing plants 24/7 and abandon the other sites. They are also looking to close 10,000 small post offices throughout the country that are loss centers. They have tried this for 20 years but the public outcry from the small towns always killed those plans.

USPS has it's faults sure, but doubt it's going anywhere soon. The new PMG is actually a pretty aggressive guy when it comes to fixing the problem. Most of the senior management in place now have plans to fix the problem but the damn Union always gets in the way. No different than the auto industry.

Privatizing it might fix some of the problems but it's such a large organization that it would take a MONSTER effort to keep it together and make it work. Not something that could happen over night.

Comment

“important letters and information don’t get lost in thin air, or disappear with a click.”

Correct - they disappear when someone steals a letter from your mailbox or pilfers a package in a postal sorting facility.

Comment

Honestly I think unions have outlived their usefulness....

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                Privatizing it might fix some of the problems but it's such a large organization that it would take a MONSTER effort to keep it together and make it work. Not something that could happen over night.
                Nah... remember the Bell monopoly of the phone system and how it was dismantled?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                  I still get bills via snail mails, but I pay them online. I think all I ever send over USPS is cards (holiday, birthday, etc) and the occasional package.
                  I went through all my bills and opted for paperless everywhere I could.

Now I do rely heavily on USPS for all my packages I get overseas. Hell in the past 2 days I have recieved 100+ of food.
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                    I went through all my bills and opted for paperless everywhere I could.

Now I do rely heavily on USPS for all my packages I get overseas. Hell in the past 2 days I have recieved 100+ of food.
                    APO to APO is free. Hook a brutha up!

Comment

I kinda like watching 'em spiral down the drain.

Comment

Working...
                      X