Chopper downed in Afg.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_tiger View Post
    I heard on the news that the only helicopter that can go up to that altitude is the Chinook, which is what got hit and crashed. The former military man, giving the info, said they really need a apache type heli that can offer air support. The best they can do is have a team of seals sitting in a heli flying around all night, WAITING for a call to get dropped off and go kill some people.

Just wondering is there is any new helicopters in the works? (doubt it)
    From what I am reading, open sourced intel (internet) so not coming from any breifings that I have excluded myself from anyway. lol

The talibs produced a skirmish in a funnel with only one way in. The sucked in the reinforcements (read the Seals) and when it was flying through the valley it got lit up by the ambush teams on both sides of the valley. Talibs lucked out and it was what they would consider a high value target; a goup of American Seals coming to the rescue. My guess is they expected just another quick reaction force instead. This is a huge moral booster to them.

Speaking again from common knowledge, helos will fly in valleys to avoid being seen and tracked from a distance. I have flown a lot out here in every troop transport imaginable, even Polish and civilian air. It sucks seeing land out the windows and you can read Mohammad's name etched into trees they are that close. We now have a minimum ceiling our company helos are supposed to fly at unless on approach. I won't say how high but it is high enough according to our assessment.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

The two deadliest attacks involve Navy SEALS in rescue missions. The first one the Chinooks outflew their Apache transport during the rescue of Marcus Luttrell, I wonder if something similar happened here. How low the chopters fly something like this is bound to happen, I hear about all the close calls from some people that are over there. This could have been a Stinger for all we know.
      RIP to those who fell and thank you to the ones who continue to serve. The sad part is these heroes were barely mentioned in the news, evenone is playing the blame game on the debt. Maybe they should remember the whole reason we have the lives we do is because of people like the SEALs.

Comment

There should have been immediate reaction by our military and that valley should have been reduced to a glowing ember. Even if we don't kill anyone, we leave a mark.
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
          Aaaaaaaaaand there goes Jones already.
          Fuck that sack of shit Alex Jones. He is absolutely without redeeming value and hasn't earned the right to second-guess real men or their actions. I love to see a tape of him being the guest of honor at a blanket party.

Comment

Just found out I lost a cousin in that. I only met him once though, a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by no4njnk View Post
              The two deadliest attacks involve Navy SEALS in rescue missions. The first one the Chinooks outflew their Apache transport during the rescue of Marcus Luttrell, I wonder if something similar happened here. How low the chopters fly something like this is bound to happen, I hear about all the close calls from some people that are over there. This could have been a Stinger for all we know.
              RIP to those who fell and thank you to the ones who continue to serve. The sad part is these heroes were barely mentioned in the news, evenone is playing the blame game on the debt. Maybe they should remember the whole reason we have the lives we do is because of people like the SEALs.
              A stinger it was not. Air burst max range of an RPG7 times multiples plus small arms, AK and PKM possible DISHKA. In my 5 years here in Afghanistan there has not been a single confirmed Stinger launched or found for that matter. RPGs get launched at us all the time. I know a Colonel that has a video he shot from a Chinook window of an RPG being launched right at them from a cave. Apache on station for every rotary movement is hard. In some areas it is mandatory, others not. I can't not say for sure that they did have one to begin with but that area is not a hot bed for us; to far inland from the PAK border. My FOBs/COPs report very little to me from that area.
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Just found out the pilot was the older brother of an old friend, it really is a small world after all.

His post on FB

"to all who saw the helicopter that was shot down in afghanistan over the weekend carrying the navy seals on a rescue mission. My brother was the pilot flying that day. he died, doing what he loved...... serving his country and helping others. there was a ranger team pinned down. they picked them up and while leaving, he was shot down. RIP my brother......"

Comment

Working...
                X