Friday job numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
    I believe it. Those numbers aren't good at all. If you were going to bullshit, you need better numbers than that. I don't think the market will hold today, I can't see the sheep holding positions over the weekend since this is a crisis of confidence more than anything else.

One thing those numbers do say is that the economy is limping along, I hope this tells the Fed idiots to leave it alone and let it recover the way it should have from the start.
    I don't understand how 117k jobs brings down unemployment by .1%. I've always heard that we need 250k jobs to see a true recovery. If that's so, then how does 117k drop unemployment? By those figures, if we create 117k jobs a month, unemployment would fall down to 8.5 after 6 months of this?

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
      I don't understand how 117k jobs brings down unemployment by .1%. I've always heard that we need 250k jobs to see a true recovery. If that's so, then how does 117k drop unemployment? By those figures, if we create 117k jobs a month, unemployment would fall down to 8.5 after 6 months of this?
      It happens because the denominator changes. Meaning, every month they do a survey and they ask people "are you looking for work?". Some people say no, some say yes. If you say no then you aren't included in the pool of possible workers.

Check this chart out, there are a lot of different measures of unemployment, the headline number is just one of them:

Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

It happens because the denominator changes. Meaning, every month they do a survey and they ask people "are you looking for work?". Some people say no, some say yes. If you say no then you aren't included in the pool of possible workers.

Check this chart out, there are a lot of different measures of unemployment, the headline number is just one of them:

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t15.htm
        Thanks! That's what I needed to see. "Real" unemployment is a shit ton higher than this 9.1 figure we see. I liken this to food and fuel not being part of the inflation figures, which is bullshit. What else affects all of us as much as food and fuel?

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
          Thanks! That's what I needed to see. "Real" unemployment is a shit ton higher than this 9.1 figure we see. I liken this to food and fuel not being part of the inflation figures, which is bullshit. What else affects all of us as much as food and fuel?
          Honestly I don't care, as long as they use the same standard all the time and don't try to change what composes that headline number. As Jody said, the numbers are pretty much bullshit and only relative to the same number from last month.
          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?

Comment

Honestly I don't care, as long as they use the same standard all the time and don't try to change what composes that headline number. As Jody said, the numbers are pretty much bullshit and only relative to the same number from last month.
            Now if they would just stop going back and revising numbers from previous reports...

Comment

MY ASS! Weren't they predicting 90k? It is always lower than the estimates! It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the numbers have been horribly manipulated all along
              How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Speaking of jobs...

Foxconn to Replace Half a Million Employees with Robots

Cheap (slave) labor + suicides = ROBOTS!!!!!!!

Comment

Did you guys miss the ECB announcing their own new QE program today? That poor Euro is going to take a real beating before this is all over with.

Comment

We are all gonna die aren't we?

Comment

Originally posted by jasonw_2005 View Post
                      I heard you are just going to be raped in the ass. You sure got lucky!

Comment

I heard you are just going to be raped in the ass. You sure got lucky!
                        They've been rapin my ass for years with gas prices. I've gotten to the point where I just walk around with my ass in the air, makes it hurt less if I don't struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonw_2005 View Post
                          No one makes it out alive.

Stevo
                          Originally posted by SSMAN
                          ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                            No one makes it out alive.

Stevo
                            zombies?

Comment

Did you guys miss the ECB announcing their own new QE program today? That poor Euro is going to take a real beating before this is all over with.
                              Like no one saw it coming. They were the only one to bail Spain and Italy out.

The Fed and Treasury's only job right now is to make the dollar outlast the Euro.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                                Like no one saw it coming. They were the only one to bail Spain and Italy out.

The Fed and Treasury's only job right now is to make the dollar outlast the Euro.
                                Good luck, word on the street is that the US loses its AAA rating from S&P this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X