Negative interest rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negative interest rates

The Bank of New York Mellon, citing an overwhelming influx of cash deposits from large clients in reaction to world economic events, said Thursday it will begin passing along some insurance fees on selected accounts that exceed a depositor's prior monthly average.

Bank of New York Puts Charge on Cash Deposits
    Published: Thursday, 4 Aug 2011 | 11:19 AM ET
    Text Size
    By: CNBC.com

The Bank of New York Mellon said Thursday it would start charging "large depositors" to hold cash.

The bank [BK 24.09 -0.56 (-2.27%) ] said it was taking the action because of a sudden increase in dollar deposits prompted by fears among its customers about the recent debt crisis in the United States as well as concerns about Europe's debt problems.

The Bank of New York said its customers were in a "mass de-risk" mode.

Reuters reported that the move added to demand for US Treasury bills and pushed the rates for one-month T-bills close to zero.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

So what the hell does that mean?

The bank will charge customers to hold the cash, AND make interest on it and invest it anyway the bank wants??
    Last edited by mstng86; 08-04-2011, 09:50 AM.

Comment

For once, it does make sense to hide money in your mattress...
      - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
      1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        So what the hell does that mean?

They will charge them to hold the cash, AND make interest on it and invest it anyway they want??
        The bank is charging YOU for keeping money in the bank.

What a bunch of crap. I'd move my all my accounts out of that bank with a quickness.
        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
          The bank is charging YOU for keeping money in the bank.

What a bunch of crap. I'd move my all my accounts out of that bank with a quickness.
          I understand that, I guess I am really asking, Why? I don't understand.

Comment

We're going to hold a fraction of your money in reserve to make lots of loans for money we don't have, we're also charging YOU for helping US profit, I SAY GOOD-DAY TO YOU SIR!!!
            US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

They have no place to put the money where they feel it is safe and will earn them a spread over what they are paying you to have it.

It also indicates that they feel there is some currency risk.
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                They have no place to put the money where they feel it is safe and will earn them a spread over what they are paying you to have it.

It also indicates that they feel there is some currency risk.
                In other words, they are just passing their losses along to the client.

Comment

In other words, they are just passing their losses along to the client.
                  That is what every business does?
                  www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                    That is what every business does?
                    Yea, when they are failing.

Comment

Yea, when they are failing.
                      No, this is one of the better banks in the country. Very conservative as well.

You can buy their shares at 90% of book value right now, while Bank of America is at 40% of book value. They have been dragged down with all the other banks.

Comment

That should help the bottom line! Is the bank owned by the NTTA?

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                          No, this is one of the better banks in the country. Very conservative as well.

You can buy their shares at 90% of book value right now, while Bank of America is at 40% of book value. They have been dragged down with all the other banks.
                          Well, then this is more of a sign of a responsible bank being precautionairy then?

Is this a measure other banks are going to follow?

Comment

Originally posted by hobie View Post
                            i say good-day to you sir!!!
                            i said good day!
                            Originally posted by BradM
                            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Well, then this is more of a sign of a responsible bank being precautionairy then?

Is this a measure other banks are going to follow?
                              I doubt that you will see major banks follow this unless things really really go to shit. It happened in Japan in the early 1990s when banks were holding Yen denominated deposits. It means the bank sees some risk in dollar denominated deposits or they are getting too many deposits. I think the latter could be more likely than the former because you have a lot of people fleeing from the Euro at the moment.

It illustrates what I have told Denny a hundred times, the dollar is the best of all the currencies people can hold. There is the Swiss Franc which some say is better but there aren't enough of them to go around from what I have read. I'm no currency expert by any means so maybe someone can chime in.

Comment

Working...
                              X