Perry launches online Texas university

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perry launches online Texas university

I'm going to write three words I don't think I've every written before.

Good Job Perry.

The key here will be to make sure the degree's from this university hold the same value as those from brick and mortar universities. I think most will agree that the value of online degrees from some "for profit" universities are questioned a lot in corporate America.

SAN ANTONIO - Texas will have its own subsidiary of a national online university that offers low-cost degrees targeted at working adults, Gov. Rick Perry announced Wednesday.

Perry signed an executive order launching Western Governors University Texas, a subsidiary of the nonprofit Western Governors University. Founded in 1997 by 19 governors, including former Texas Gov. George W. Bush, WGU is self-sustaining through tuition.

"WGU Texas provides another flexible, affordable way for Texans to fulfill their potential and contribute their talents for years and decades to come, without any need for state funding," Perry said.

Unlike traditional universities that are based on accumulating credit hours, WGU students work at their own pace and move on when they have proven mastery of the subject matter. The average time to a bachelor's degree is 2½ years, and the average cost is $15,000.

The university enrolls 25,000 students nationwide, including 1,800 from Texas.

State Sen. Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo, and State Rep. Dan Branch, R-Dallas, cheered the announcement, as did Texas Commissioner of Higher Education Raymund Paredes. Rey Garcia, president of the Texas Association of Community Colleges, said he would work with WGU to help students transfer seamlessly from community colleges to WGU.

In 2010, Indiana adopted WGU as part of its state higher education system. Becoming part of the Texas system will do wonders for promotion, said Bob Mendenhall, president of WGU.

"It certainly adds legitimacy. It says, 'This is something the state is behind, this has been vetted by people who know something about education,' " Mendenhall said.

Nationwide, about 75 percent of WGU students are low-income, minority, first-generation or rural students. Tuition is a flat fee of $5,780 per 12-month year, and students can take as many classes as they want.

Advancement is based on tests and assignments that prove mastery of the material, and students either pass or fail, they do not receive grades. Many of the degrees, such as nursing and education, require practicum in the classroom or a clinical setting.

At WGU, technology does the teaching through videos and interactive lessons. Faculty members are available via email for discussion and questions, and assignments are marked by an anonymous grading pool.

Most interaction with a "real human" is a mentor assigned to each student who acts as a personal coach.

To bring down cost and time to degree, WGU fundamentally changed the business model of higher education, Mendenhall said. Traditional universities, with their residence halls, football teams, laboratories and theaters, would have difficulty following in WGU's footsteps.

"You are not going to get a model at half the cost or a third of the cost unless you change everything," he said.

But as far as Perry is concerned, traditional universities are not off the hook for creating a $10,000 bachelor's degree, said Catherine Frazier, a Perry spokeswoman.

"It should be an encouragement to them to show that more affordable degrees can be created," Frazier said.

Compare this to what Jerry Brown just passed (the "dream act") in California. I have my problems with Perry, but he'd be a shit-ton better than that jackal we have up there now.

Comment

I guess someone got tired of LSU taking Texas's students and tuition.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

does anyone actually value a degree from WGU as much as a degree from a formal university?

Comment

Do they have engineering ABET accreditation?
          class joke
          {
          private:
          char Forrest, Jenny, Momma, LtDan;
          double Peas, Carrots;
          string MommaAlwaysSaid(const bool AddAnyTime = True)
          };

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball996 View Post
            does anyone actually value a degree from WGU as much as a degree from a formal university?
            Depends on the field and who you specifically interview with...

Comment

Degrees just get you in the door, unless you went to the same college as the hiring manager or an ivy league school I don't think it matters for most entry level positions. Now down the road when you are up at the VP level the college of choice makes a difference, way more than the degree itself in most cases. Then again you may have only gotten to that level thanks to the people you went to college with.

Comment

so its just good for an interview? I would hope that someone with a university degree has more aspirations for their education then simply scoring an interview and landing a job.

Comment

so its just good for an interview? I would hope that someone with a university degree has more aspirations for their education then simply scoring an interview and landing a job.
                  It opens doors that otherwise may not be there. A degree is no guarantee of anything, especially now. My daughter was lucky enough to get hired right out of school, and her case, it was all about the school she came out of. Because of that, she got an interview. She has several friends that just graduated with her that are still looking for work, with not much luck.

Comment

its the whole experience of attending a university that really broadens the mind, teaches students to think outside the box, leadership skills, networking, so many things that you can not get with a web based school.

Comment

its the whole experience of attending a university that really broadens the mind, teaches students to think outside the box, leadership skills, networking, so many things that you can not get with a web based school.
                      You can say that about many long term institutions\experiences... including the military. (where leadership skills and original thinking are a staple)

Going on a 2 month sabbatical touring Europe may also broaden the mind, but it generally doesn't help you in career placement.

In general, I see your point, but for certain fields\job descriptions, an on-line degree should be a sufficient starting point\resume enhancer.

Comment

but it is devaluing education. with out the experience is the education really on the same level?

Comment

but it is devaluing education. with out the experience is the education really on the same level?
                          I guess it depends how you define "education" and "experience"

Unfortunately, nothing like this is ever cut and dried and in many cases (with the obvious exception of careers within law, medicine and the like...) it is up to the interviewer, the needs of the company, pay scale, etc, etc....

In my personal experience, the best IT Project Manager I have ever seen (managing several multi-million dollar contracts a year) started out as a USMC grunt, got into IT as a side bar and decided he liked it, got serious with some heavy duty PMI certs, and now easily clears over 100k a year...

I also have known several college grads from "good" schools, that with all of their "education", couldn't get out of their own way...

Are these examples typical? Probably not....

IMHO, A college degree is a stepping stone that can open doors and provide an excellent foundation in whatever an individual decides to do with their life, but in MOST cases (many exceptions exist), it does not define one's total capability or limitation.

Comment

Texas will have its own subsidiary of a national online university that offers low-cost degrees targeted at working adults, Gov. Rick Perry announced Wednesday.
                            Sounds like it's for mature people who don't feel like shelling out the thousands of extra dollars to learn how to get drunk, play beer pong and bang random drunk college chicks on the the weekends.

Comment

I applaud the move.

Yes, because nobody ever met a college-educated idiot. All other things being equal, I'll hire a former military NCO over a school-boy any day of the week.

Originally posted by BP View Post
                              Degrees just get you in the door, unless you went to the same college as the hiring manager or an ivy league school I don't think it matters for most entry level positions. Now down the road when you are up at the VP level the college of choice makes a difference, way more than the degree itself in most cases. Then again you may have only gotten to that level thanks to the people you went to college with.
                              I think this is a close as you can get to an accurate statement.

Comment

Working...
                              X