No more retiring at 20 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
    Why can't this be instituted for government officials first? How much longer are we going to take this shit?
    Wouldn't it be great if they could lead by example?

I understand that the majority of spending is on defense, medicare/medicaid, and social security. I know that in the grand scheme of the federal budgets the salary of house/senate isn't a grain of sand through the hourglass, but it would be a meaningful jesture to give themselves a healthy pay cut when they want to cut funding to poor children, soldiers destroying their bodies/ending their lives doing their dirtywork, or the elderly. Just show the people that we are really in this together.

Not sure what it's up to, but members of house and senate get paid something like $175k, plus annual COLA. Speaker of the house and leader's of each party get more, not sure how much more. How about knock off $100k of that salary?
    US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Originally posted by Hobie View Post

I understand that the majority of spending is on defense, medicare/medicaid, and social security. I know that in the grand scheme of the federal budgets the salary of house/senate isn't a grain of sand through the hourglass, but it would be a meaningful jesture to give themselves a healthy pay cut when they want to cut funding to poor children, soldiers destroying their bodies/ending their lives doing their dirtywork, or the elderly. Just show the people that we are really in this together.

Not sure what it's up to, but members of house and senate get paid something like $175k, plus annual COLA. Speaker of the house and leader's of each party get more, not sure how much more. How about knock off $100k of that salary?
      Part of their salary is justified by the high cost of maintaining a residence in D.C.

I would think a 20% across the board cut in their salaries would be an appropriate gesture however, and also have them be the lab rats used to test out the "premium support" measure proposed by Republicans for Medicare and the federal employee health plans.

Comment

I am not really worried about their salaries.... as much as a I am the LIFETIME benefits and retirement pensions they get after serving only ONE term.
        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

I am not really worried about their salaries.... as much as a I am the LIFETIME benefits and retirement pensions they get after serving only ONE term.
          That is not true.

Originally posted by lincolnboy
          After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
            Wasn't going to link to snopes, but I was just about to point out that he was incorrect.

Too slow, too slow!

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
              Part of their salary is justified by the high cost of maintaining a residence in D.C.

I would think a 20% across the board cut in their salaries would be an appropriate gesture however, and also have them be the lab rats used to test out the "premium support" measure proposed by Republicans for Medicare and the federal employee health plans.
              So let them reside in Baltimore. Even hoodrat kids can afford dirtbikes there. Surely a politician can swing a humble abode while taking a $75k pay cut.

Comment

So let them reside in Baltimore. Even hoodrat kids can afford dirtbikes there. Surely a politician can swing a humble abode while taking a $75k pay cut.
                I didn't say I necessarily agree with their level of compensation, only that maintaining a residence in D.C. is used as one justification for their salaries.

Comment

There was someone running for congress in 2010 that said "If barracks is good enough for our troops, it should be good enough for Congress."
                  I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Ya, the only position that gets lifetime benefits after one term is POTUS. His immediate family gets it after so long as well. Spouse is forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                      There was someone running for congress in 2010 that said "If barracks is good enough for our troops, it should be good enough for Congress."
                      Not exactly the same, but came across something similar, made a thread.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/08/02/honore.debt.politicians/ Editor's note: Lt. Gen. Russel Honoré commanded the military response to Hurricane Katrina. He retired from the U.S. Army in 2008 after 37 years, sits on the board of the Stevenson Disaster Management Institute and is an adjunct professor at Emory and

Comment

I know I'd never have a chance at Congress or anything, but if I were elected, I'd demand minimum wage and the same benefits as an enlisted member of the military. That is all the Senate and House positions should be worth.

Good thing I'm a piece of unelectable shit, or I'd set a new bar. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                          Forever. The people of the US will not revolt.
                          It'll have to get reeaallly bad before they revolt. Then they'll attempt to turn the national guard and the military against the people. That will just make things worse, and then many people will die. But on the upside, in all likelihood most of the politicians responsible will likely meet a bloody end.

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post
                            It'll have to get reeaallly bad before they revolt. Then they'll attempt to turn the national guard and the military against the people. That will just make things worse, and then many people will die. But on the upside, in all likelihood most of the politicians responsible will likely meet a bloody end.
                            The military won't go up against the people. At least not all of it. That will cause a divide within the military. Either way, I'm not mounting a horse and riding into Washington with my Henry Big Boy 45 over my shoulder and single action wheel on my side, thinking I'm going to change shit.

I'll use what I have to keep me and mine safe and happy while the rest of the turmoil is wrecking everything around us.

I just found the perfect land and house that'll support my sustainment plans. Very cheap (cash price to make this post a solid barg) and far enough away from the masses to be comfortable. Hopefully it will be there 35 days from now.

Comment

Yeah I was thinking of buying about 320 acres of land in oklahoma in a few years, as my father in law already has. Land is pretty cheap if you go way out far away from civilization. With all that land you could grow and hunt whatever food you needed. The population of the town is 80, and the two closest towns are 30 miles away. Sometimes I'm surprised the place even has electricity. The deer are so plentiful that they're a problem on the road. I totaled a car on a damn deer before I learned that deer are the reason you have to drive slower and not just fly down the roads as fast as your car will go. And every day when going to work I had to honk at various herds of them to make them move out of my way. So there would be plenty of meat. Only thing is, how do you as one person, fend off roving crowds with guns? I don't think it would be a problem if you're far enough out, but there are going to be people that own farmland that are going to have to deal with that. I was thinking of automated turrets. HAHA. They're not that hard to build, and would disperse a crowd quite rapidly.

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post
                                Yeah I was thinking of buying about 320 acres of land in oklahoma in a few years, as my father in law already has. Land is pretty cheap if you go way out far away from civilization. With all that land you could grow and hunt whatever food you needed. The population of the town is 80, and the two closest towns are 30 miles away. Sometimes I'm surprised the place even has electricity. The deer are so plentiful that they're a problem on the road. I totaled a car on a damn deer before I learned that deer are the reason you have to drive slower and not just fly down the roads as fast as your car will go. And every day when going to work I had to honk at various herds of them to make them move out of my way. So there would be plenty of meat. Only thing is, how do you as one person, fend off roving crowds with guns? I don't think it would be a problem if you're far enough out, but there are going to be people that own farmland that are going to have to deal with that. I was thinking of automated turrets. HAHA. They're not that hard to build, and would disperse a crowd quite rapidly.
                                Although I am doing most of this on my own, I have plans on selecting a few that will benefit the operation, if/when something ever happens. As far as defensive hands, we're already good with that. If it is not enough, then so be it.

Comment

Working...
                                X