No announcement yet.

Oslo, out "Americaning" America.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is definitely a fine line with a very slippery slope on both sides.

We are approaching the ten year anniversary of 9/11 and the terrorist attack has continued to this day. We as a country have given up countless rights, lost thousands of lives in wars that can not be won, and spent trillions of dollars that we can not afford. All of this in the name of security (and oil) which can never be achieved.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
      You're right, everything should be illegal except bunnies and cotton balls in the name of security, because someone, somewhere, at some time, might do something. Al is 100% spot on. If those 70 people or whatever the count is now had guns, do you think the death toll would be more than 2 or 3? Probably not. Do you think the TSA has actually prevented anything, other than people from carrying bottles of shampoo on a plane?
      How does a gun stomp a bomber?

Leave extremities out of this, and keep it realistic. How does having a ccl stop someone from parking a bomb van in from of a building?
      How does having a ccl stop someone from taking a hostage by surprise? Even someone with a ccl can be suddenly grabbed and have a gun to their head before pulling their weapon.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
        The concept of better security through more freedom confuses me. Could someone go into detail about that for me, please?
        Also, cite specific examples.
        While there are some points to be argued, here's the main point of the article:

The America of old was founded on the willing risk of sacrificing security for more freedom. You can give up all the freedom in the world and still not be perfectly secure. You can give up some security and live a lot more freely.

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
          While there are some points to be argued, here's the main point of the article:

The America of old was founded on the willing risk of sacrificing security for more freedom. You can give up all the freedom in the world and still not be perfectly secure. You can give up some security and live a lot more freely.
          There also weren't bombs capable of eliminating millions of people when the founding occurred.

I understand the greatness that the country was founded on, but I'm not willing to trade feeling safe during a phone call for the lives of millions because of one crazed person.
          sigpic

Comment

There also weren't bombs capable of eliminating millions of people when the founding occurred.

I understand the greatness that the country was founded on, but I'm not willing to trade feeling safe during a phone call for the lives of millions because of one crazed person.
            So do you think that the freedoms and privacy you have given up really make you proportionally safer? Or do they just make you feel safer?

Comment

So do you think that the freedoms and privacy you have given up really make you proportionally safer? Or do they just make you feel safer?
              Do you think that we'd be safer without the monitoring currently taken place?

Do you believe that extending ccl eligibility, or making open carry legal everywhere would prevent mass bombings?
              sigpic

Comment

Do you believe that extending ccl eligibility, or making open carry legal everywhere would prevent mass bombings?
                Answer mine and I'll answer yours. They weren't rhetorical. Jackass.

Comment

Regarding Magnus:
                  Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Security is illusory, and comes with freedom as a price. One does not need to look beyond TSA to see this.

You can't possibly believe that you can be protected from all things at all times. Can you detach from your inurement to government protecting you long enough to see that liberty is a violent affair. People not only die protecting our freedoms, but they also die because of our freedoms.

We'd probably be much safer if we weren't in the business of trampling freedom overseas in our quest to make the U.S. secure from the world. We've been doing that for decades now. And we aren't any safer for it, are we?
                    Men have become the tools of their tools.
                    -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by jakesford View Post
                      It is definitely a fine line with a very slippery slope on both sides.

We are approaching the ten year anniversary of 9/11 and the terrorist attack has continued to this day. We as a country have given up countless rights, lost thousands of lives in wars that can not be won, and spent trillions of dollars that we can not afford. All of this in the name of security (and oil) which can never be achieved.
                      Every line in this post is worth putting in bold and reflecting on it.

Answer mine and I'll answer yours. They weren't rhetorical. Jackass.
                      Maybe I've missed it, but I don't think I've ever noticed that guy post anything in a positive manner. It seems like he's always trolling with each and every post.
                      US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Working...
                      X