No announcement yet.

Has the U.S. turned against consumers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has the U.S. turned against consumers?

So is our own country now anti-consumer?

Full article here:

The Federal Reserve, the government, and Wall Street are all bleeding the consumer—and nothing is being done to stop it, writes Ed Wallace

"It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. They can invent reasons why oil prices go to $130 or $150, but history shows that these people are capable of moving markets. It is not Exxon or BP or Shell that moves the oil markets. It is the financial players. It is the Goldman Sachs, the Morgan Stanley, or the other guys. It is a shame on the government that allows them to get away with that." —Oppenheimer oil analyst Fadel Gheit, Bloomberg TV, May 25, 2011

I recently explained here how excess liquidity lent to investors by the Federal Reserve at virtually no interest—helping investors use leverage as never before—created a maelstrom of activity in the commodities market. All that cheap money has pushed oil prices much higher than actual supply and legitimate demand would dictate. Covered also was the fact that during the campaign of 2008, when oil was nearing a new high of $147 a barrel, Presidential candidates Barack Obama and Senator John McCain (R-Ariz.) knew why and promised to fix it.

Both candidates recognized what was happening in the markets and promised to repeal the Enron loophole that was created in 2000 by the Commodities Futures Modernization Act. This essentially deregulated financial products known as over-the-counter derivatives and loosened capital requirements. It allows traders to run roughshod over our economy, pocketing excessive profits and slowing the pace of recovery.

I'll follow with this article:

The NY Fed blog has an excellent post breaking down the decline in consumer spending during this most recent recession. They highlight two rather mind blowing charts that show just how severe the decline in discretionary spending has been:
    Follow the link to see the charts..

Comment

I've heard people talk for many years about how the people really in charge are the bankers and financial people. This just reinforces that. We should have let GS and the other banks fend for themselves instead of loaning/giving them money.

On a side note, I wonder if the head of the IMF really did anything wrong. I bet he wasn't doing what the powerful people wanted, so they trumped of false charges to get him removed out of his position.

Comment

isnt this similar to what put Germany on the path to voting in the Nazi party prior to WWII?
        2011 Mustang GT
        sigpic

Comment

<---NOT a nutcase!

Comment

I hope they enjoy it because they are destroying the economy and at some point, someone pissed off enough will start to levy legislative attacks against these banks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
              I hope they enjoy it because they are destroying the economy and at some point, someone pissed off enough will start to levy legislative attacks against these banks.
              How are you going to have legislative attacks on the banks when the Congress is in bed with them?

Comment

The people who ass-fucked the world economy to enrich themselves while running their companies into the ground only to get saved by the US taxpayer are unscrupulous? SHOCKER
                US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

All I have to say right now is Ron Paul 2012. The man has been stating the above for years.

Also do a little research on which candidates get major campaign contributions from where....

Comment

All they need to do is make a 100% margin requirement for commodities contracts.
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                      All they need to do is make a 100% margin requirement for commodities contracts.
                      Absolfuckinglutely. I just had this discussion. To further make them play within the rules, delivery of any contract over $100,000 is mandatory with a 5 day hold required before they can sell.

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                      How are you going to have legislative attacks on the banks when the Congress is in bed with them?
                      I never said any of the cocksuckers that are in there now. I think you'll continue to see rage build until it spills over and bankers will fear for their lives. The people leading the charge will get elected and hamstring the financiers.

Comment

Absolfuckinglutely. I just had this discussion. To further make them play within the rules, delivery of any contract over $100,000 is mandatory with a 5 day hold required before they can sell.

I never said any of the cocksuckers that are in there now. I think you'll continue to see rage build until it spills over and bankers will fear for their lives. The people leading the charge will get elected and hamstring the financiers.
                        50% margin may even work. You just have to have enough so that the return doesn't make the risk worth it. A rise in interest rates would do the same thing. This is the historical problem with speculation, easy credit drives it, no matter if it is in houses or equities or anything else.

Public rage is already pretty powerful when it comes to the banks. The government is doing all it can to legislate away their profits. Only because the polls tell the crooked ass politicians to do so. The debit card fee is an example of that. Doing away with proprietary trading is too. The thing is, the banks have a very powerful lobby and always will have. If all this limiting legislation gets passed, they can get it removed years from now and this all starts over. Because of this, I have bought their stock, they will only be held down for so long and after that they will figure out a new way to make money. Somehow someway they will figure out a way, so they can make me some money too.
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

I wish I could agree with you, but I just don't see it happening unless there is a incredibly huge shift in our countries politics.

And this isn't a Republican/Democrat thing for me either. Both parties are extremely complicit in this cluster F.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                            I wish I could agree with you, but I just don't see it happening unless there is a incredibly huge shift in our countries politics.

And this isn't a Republican/Democrat thing for me either. Both parties are extremely complicit in this cluster F.
                            Trust me, I've abandoned the parties because they are both out to fuck us. One uses an 18" throbbing dick while the other is using a 15" throbbing dick, and they can't afford lube.

An interesting quote from TJ.
                            "We must make our election between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude."

Comment

Working...
                            X