Senate Bill S.978

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senate Bill S.978

OpenCongress helps you track bills, senators, representatives as well as gain access to hundreds of legal forms and templates.

S.978 - A bill to amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes.

Makes unauthorized web streaming of copyrighted content a felony with a possible penalty of up to 5 years in prison. Illegal streaming of copyrighted content is defined in the bill as an offense that "consists of 10 or more public performances by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copyrighted works" and has a total economic value, either to the copyright holder or the infringer, of at least $2,500.

Thoughts?

Eh, it's been coming in for a while. I just don't know how they're going to enforce it, since they're deregulating domains anyway.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Sounds like it is probably aimed at youtube-type sites, and the individuals that keep posting copyrighted stuff. There are a ton of videos on there that have been removed due to copyright infringment at the request of the owner. I think the big complaints are the morons that continue to repost copyrighted stuff, without permission, and keep having it taken down.

That would be my guess, anyway.
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Land of the free (to do whatever we allow you).

Comment

As if our prisons aren't full enough. The fuckin politicians are taking a CIVIL matter and making it criminal...

Comment

I agree this is a civil matter, to many things are criminalized these days

Comment

To me, it is not felony material. Gonna have kids and the whole nine yards clogging up the system.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                To me, it is not felony material. Gonna have kids and the whole nine yards clogging up the system.
                ^

Stevo
                Originally posted by SSMAN
                ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Keep it criminal...especially the bit torrent shit, and no need to fill up prisons...just cut off fingers. Makes it harder for the geeks to jerk off and this shit will stop.

Comment

The intent is to criminalize as many as is possible, as once you are a criminal you lose many rights, as well as credibility in the eyes of those around you.

Hard to vote or carry a gun when you're a criminal!
                    www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
                      The intent is to criminalize as many as is possible, as once you are a criminal you lose many rights, as well as credibility in the eyes of those around you.

Hard to vote or carry a gun when you're a criminal!
                      Not really hard at all considering gang bangers with felonys carry guns all the time, and dead people vote in Chicago elections. Just sayin'
                      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Expect piracy to go on as normal, or to see a slight increase.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                          Keep it criminal...especially the bit torrent shit, and no need to fill up prisons...just cut off fingers. Makes it harder for the geeks to jerk off and this shit will stop.
                          What the fuck?

Comment

Working...
                          X