Proof of citizenship to obtain, or renew TX driver's license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof of citizenship to obtain, or renew TX driver's license

TYLER, TX (KLTV)- Texans may soon have to prove they are a US citizen if they want to get, or renew a driver's license. Tucked into the must- pass state school finance bill is a provision that will soon become a law once Governor Rick Perry signs it.

"There are 20 million illegal aliens in the United States, if you are here illegally in the United States you are not authorized to drive without a driver's license in Texas," said State Rep. Leo Berman, (R) District 6.

Berman says Texan need to present authentic proof of citizenship to get their driver's license, saying right now, it is too easy for illegal immigrants to take advantage of the system.

"So if you go in with a false social security card they're going to check your social security number through the e-verify system and you could be arrested," said Berman.

Berman says the use of a fraudulent social security card could carry a penalty of three years in prison and up to a fine of $5000.

However, Gilbert Urvia says if this provision is turned into a law, it won't keep undocumented immigrants off the roads.

"It doesn't take away their opportunity to drive because even insurance companies sell insurance to an unlicensed driver," said Gilbert Urvia, Hispanic American Association.

Urvia says it's like trying to put a band-aid over a large wound, and may not work at the state level.

"If we could do it at the federal level it would work a lot better because its nation-wide and then it would be across the board rather than the state trying to implement a law and then people would just move in from one state to another," said Urvia.

Berman says Governor Perry is expected to sign the bill within the next two weeks.

The bill would go into effect immediately after that signing.
    Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Good news. Bit by bit, push the wave back and make 'em come over here correctly.

Comment

No drivers license = even less need for auto insurance.

mardyn

Comment

If I have to have my surcharges caught up they need to be NOT breaking the law either by being here illegally.

BUT

On the same note if they get pulled over without insurance or a DL they need to be ticketed just the same as me and have their cars towed also.
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

wont work. their cousins at the DMV will get them licensed.
          2011 Mustang GT
          sigpic

Comment

more government and more rules, illegals will still obtain fake documentation, texans will just have to pay more and wait longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball996 View Post
              more government and more rules, illegals will still obtain fake documentation, texans will just have to pay more and wait longer.
              I'm kind of thinking the same thing. Seems like more regulations for those that follow the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                I'm kind of thinking the same thing. Seems like more regulations for those that follow the law.
                Agreed, just lock down the damn border and prevent illegals from getting a job here.

At the same time make it easier law abiding Mexican's (and other nationalities) to come over legally. I think it's great for law abiding people to want to move here and make a better life through hard work.

Comment

Concur. What will fines or tickets do? They won't pay them and there is no way to enforce it on an illegal. Jail time is just another tax payer burden.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I love it when they try to do something to stop the illegals and the beaner protectors always claim it won't work. It may not work yet, but once they close a few more loopholes, it might. Doing something about it is better than doing nothing.

Another thing they want is to have the federal govt do it. Yea, right. They know the feds won't do shit to enforce it.

Comment

I'm not a protector but the law is clearly based on ILLEGALS that are breaking the law to uphold the law. They'll throw up the Los deuces and keep fucking everyone else. It's stupid, feel good legislation that some guy running for reelection can say "we shut down illegals driving!". No stupid, you didn't. You just increased my time dealing with the bitchy black woman that couldn't hold a job in the private sector if her life depended on it. Thanks for nothing elected fuckwads.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                        I'm not a protector but the law is clearly based on ILLEGALS that are breaking the law to uphold the law. They'll throw up the Los deuces and keep fucking everyone else. It's stupid, feel good legislation that some guy running for reelection can say "we shut down illegals driving!". No stupid, you didn't. You just increased my time dealing with the bitchy black woman that couldn't hold a job in the private sector if her life depended on it. Thanks for nothing elected fuckwads.
                        Exactly! It's just "feel-good" legislation. They do these things to get votes and for no other reason. They know full well the law will change nothing.
                        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

I can see it reducing the number of illegals that are required to have a valid license to work.

For those grousing, I see it as a step in the right direction.

Stevo
                          Originally posted by SSMAN
                          ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

There are some cities that automatically tow your vehicle if there's no proof of insurance. Irving and Desoto are a couple I know of. That would be at least an inconvenience for those that can't obtain insurance. Of course this would all be a non-issue if we just locked down the border.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                              I can see it reducing the number of illegals that are required to have a valid license to work.

For those grousing, I see it as a step in the right direction.

Stevo
                              It's a start, but won't stop shit at this point. Need more, a lot more. lol @ "illegal protectors"
                              Originally posted by MR EDD
                              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                              X