Oil dives to lowest since Feb as IEA taps stocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil dives to lowest since Feb as IEA taps stocks

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Oil prices crashed more than $8 to a four-month low on Thursday after the world's consumer nations said they would band together to aid the global economy by releasing emergency oil reserves for the third time ever.

Oil prices fell to their lowest since the eruption of Libya's civil war in February stemmed exports from the OPEC member, putting a strain on global oil supplies. The International Energy Agency said it would help ease the strain by releasing 60 million barrels of government-held stocks, immediately increasing global supply by nearly 2.5 percent.

The move shocked traders who had been expecting the IEA to give top exporter Saudi Arabia more time to make up for the supply shortfall following OPEC's failed meeting on June 8, when other members blocked Gulf efforts to hike output.

"I'm really surprised. Everyone's been saying they've got enough stocks. This should keep WTI (U.S. crude) under $100 (per barrel), but really we want Brent there, and this should help," said Robert Montefusco, broker at Sucden Financial.

Brent crude futures for August plunged by more than $8 after the news, nearly its lowest intraday price since February 22. By 11:08 a.m. EDT it was down $5.90 at $108.31 a barrel, set for its biggest fall since a deep slump on May 5.

U.S. crude lagged the decline but still fell $4.01 to $91.40 a barrel, taking prices more than 20 percent below their early May peak at more than $114, the highest since 2008.

Oil markets were already off sharply ahead of news of the release, due to worries over global fuel demand following higher-than-expected U.S. jobless claims, forecasts of lower U.S. growth and evidence of a slowdown in Chinese manufacturing.

New U.S. claims for unemployment benefits rose more than expected last week, a government report showed on Thursday, suggesting little improvement in the labor market this month after employment stumbled in May.

The sell-off also followed a move by the U.S. Federal Reserve on Wednesday to cut its growth forecasts for the world's biggest economy.

IEA EYES ECONOMIES

"This supply disruption has been underway for some time and its effect has become more pronounced as it has continued," said the IEA. It said expectations were that Libyan production would remain off the market for the rest of 2011.

"Greater tightness in the oil market threatens to undermine the fragile global economic recovery," it said.

The IEA release, at 2 million barrels per day (bpd) over the next 30 days, is more than the daily loss of Libya's 1.2 million bpd exports and comes despite many views that the world is not immediately short of crude -- although many analysts and agencies also agree that markets will tighten later this year.

Against that backdrop, analysts said the use of the reserves now -- unlike the previous two releases, which immediately followed the first Gulf War and Hurricane Katrina -- signaled it may have been more concerned with tempering prices to aid a faltering economic recovery.

"The move is significant, as it represents a reach by member countries for the remedy of last resort to high oil prices," said John Kilduff, a partner at Again Capital LLC. "Clearly, the energy price spike is being cited as the reason for the economic slowdown and this is a reaction to that. The Libyan outage provides good cover."

(Additional reporting by Manash Goswami in Singapore and Christopher Johnson in London; editing by Lisa Shumaker)
    Upon hearing the news, gas futures climbed 10%.

Not really, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

I read something to the effect that gas would remain high because they were nervous about the world economy. Who 'they' is, is beyond me.

I'm surprised that with the talk about alternative energy, moves away from crude and so forth that OPEC hasn't dropped the flood gate on oil to force prices cheap enough to keep oil attractive.

Comment

Obammy's releasing 30 million of that from the U.S. petroleum reserve. This clown of a POTUS just gets more and more foolish every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
        Who 'they' is, is beyond me.
        You and me both, man.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

Comment

Wonder how much are China and India releasing from their reserves, LOL

Comment

Expect gas prices to stay the same, or see a slight increase.

Comment

This would be solved overnight if they forced these damn speculators to take delivery of their purchases. I probably wouldn't hurt if these dark exchanges were opened for all to see.

Comment

Nice plot to save the election. It's not gonna be a long term solution. Oil will rise again

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                  This would be solved overnight if they forced these damn speculators to take delivery of their purchases. I probably wouldn't hurt if these dark exchanges were opened for all to see.
                  This times eleventy billion.

Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                    I read something to the effect that gas would remain high because they were nervous about the world economy. Who 'they' is, is beyond me.

I'm surprised that with the talk about alternative energy, moves away from crude and so forth that OPEC hasn't dropped the flood gate on oil to force prices cheap enough to keep oil attractive.
                    i would expect the same thing. i am sure that opec would be content at 80-85 a barrel and i guess we could live with that. problem is the speculators dont give a damn how much of surplus, they will set the price. the last couple of months have been prime examples.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                      What if there really is a chance that the world is consuming more oil than its producing? Opec is a clusterfuck the middle east is on the brink and we are now out in the oceans digging miles deep for oil which costs oil companies more to extract and refine. Likely the type of oil they are finding is not light sweet crude which is what Libya was producing before it was disrupted. This will get interesting as time passes but the govt can only dip into the well a few times to keep prices down. The cheap easily accessible oil is gone now its gonna require 2 gallons of oil to get 1 gallon out of the ground. Time to get an energy policy before the shit hits the fan
                      Last edited by Captain Crawfish; 06-23-2011, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                        Obammy's releasing 30 million of that from the U.S. petroleum reserve. This clown of a POTUS just gets more and more foolish every day.
                        agreed the reserves are not meant to be used except in emergency situations not to control prices so you get reelected. This will backfire on obummer

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                          What if there really is a chance that the world is consuming more oil than its producing? Opec is a clusterfuck the middle east is on the brink and we are now out in the oceans digging miles deep for oil which costs oil companies more to extract and refine. Likely the type of oil they are finding is not light sweet crude which is what Libya was producing before it was disrupted. This will get interesting as time passes but the govt can only dip into the well a few times to keep prices down. The cheap easily accessible oil is gone now its gonna require 2 gallons of oil to get 1 gallon out of the ground. Time to get an energy policy before the shit hits the fan
                          You're first question is the most important in terms of the price of oil. The fact is that world consumption has dropped over the last few years. Oil stockpiles have either risen or maintained their previous levels. The price of oil has absolutely nothing to do with supply and demand. It is almost entirely speculation.

Your statement on energy policy is dead on. Unfortunately we will continue to see politicians pay off their supporters with ethanol subsidies. We will continue to see oil subsidies where none are needed. Additionally, the guys in Washington only look only 2 to 6 years down the road to their next election. Meanwhile other countries are looking 50 to 100 years down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                            agreed the reserves are not meant to be used except in emergency situations not to control prices so you get reelected. This will backfire on obummer
                            Clinton did it to help his sidekick Al Gore's run for the presidency, although of course he denied it.

Both Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. did it as well, although an argument could be made that they did so within intended prerequisites for tapping the reserve, i.e. war (first Gulf War) or national emergency (Hurricane Katrina).

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                              Clinton did it to help his sidekick Al Gore's run for the presidency, although of course he denied it.

Both Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. did it as well, although an argument could be made that they did so within intended prerequisites for tapping the reserve, i.e. war (first Gulf War) or national emergency (Hurricane Katrina).
                              It should also be mentioned that Bush Jr. also filled the reserves to capacity for the first time in history. He also pushed for expanding the reserve capacity.

Comment

Working...
                              X