Mexican vs TexMex food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican vs TexMex food

I believe there has been some mis-understanding concerning what people here or in general consider true Mexico food and Tex-Mex food. We need to settle our differences for these specific types of food.
    It kind of reminds me of the chili and chili with beans, yankee food and southern cooking debates. There is a difference.
    Me being raised and born here and have never been to Mexico (other than the border towns) can only comment on TexMex food.
    I only go to a few tex-mex food places here in Dallas for my fix for authentic Tex-Mex and by that I mean where everything is made by hand with recipes passed down. Just because its not being cooked by a chef doesn't mean its not authentic.

Discuss...
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

They are completely different. I grew up on tex mex for the most part and even I know if the food has any YELLOW cheese, it isn't real mexican food.

And no one makes better rice and beans than mi abuela.

Comment

I didn't realize til moving here that the food I referred to as Mexican my whole life is actually tex mex. Jalisco and shit are nasty.

Comment

Like I said in the other thread, if they use cheddar cheese, it's not authentic. It's Tex Mex.

I also never said just because they didn't have a chef, doesn't mean it's not authentic. What I mean by that, is chefs have talent. They are artistic. This comes at a higher price. Cooks do not have talent, and are not artistic. They make $7/hr. They are the epitome of cheap labor. HUGE differences between a cook and a chef.

There is no such thing as Authentic Tex Mex. It's Tex Mex, or Authentic Mexican food. Tex Mex can't be authentic based on the name alone.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

So if I got to Mi Dia, there will not be one single dish with cheddar cheese on it?

<----fatty that loves sharp cheddar cheese.
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
            So if I got to Mi Dia, there will not be one single dish with cheddar cheese on it?

<-----fatty loves EXTRA sharp cheddar cheese.

Tillamook for the win!!! And I put that shit on all my tex mex food at home.

Comment

I *think* the ox eye stacked enchiladas has a very small amount of cheddar, but most of their dishes use crema, oaxaca, etc. Probably 90% of their dishes with cheese use white Mexican cheeses. But again, MD has three different sections to their menu. A tex mex section, a southwest section, then the authentic section.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

The cheese doesn't make you fat, it's the tortillas.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                  The cheese doesn't make you fat, it's the tortillas.
                  The cheese and tortillas don't make you fat.

It's, The lard in the refried beans, cheese and tortillas that make you fat.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                    The cheese and tortillas don't make you fat.

ITs, The lard in the refried beans, cheese and tortillas that make you fat.
                    Lard isn't used in cheese, but definitely is used in good refried beans and tortillas.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      I *think* the ox eye stacked enchiladas has a very small amount of cheddar, but most of their dishes use crema, oaxaca, etc. Probably 90% of their dishes with cheese use white Mexican cheeses. But again, MD has three different sections to their menu. A tex mex section, a southwest section, then the authentic section.
                      You've really peaked my curiosity about this place, I might have to go to Grapevine and check it out.

Comment

Lard isn't used in cheese, but definitely is used in good refried beans and tortillas.
                        Your english skills are amazing.

I wrote that sentence all wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                          Your english skills are amazing.

I wrote that sentence all wrong.
                          I miss the tortillas made with lard, gone because of the healthy food craze, but I can still find refried beans made it with occasionally though.

Comment

You've really peaked my curiosity about this place, I might have to go to Grapevine and check it out.
                            It must be good, he shouts their praises from the pique of the mountain!

Comment

I miss the tortillas made with lard, gone because of the healthy food craze, but I can still find refried beans made it with occasionally though.
                              My grandmother still makes them with lard.

Comment

Working...
                              X