Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Silverback View Post
    Brent, most of the competition guys do two things, inject the brisket, and use a water smoker for moisture.
    Right. I inject as well. And I've used a 'water pan' before, but filled it with apple juice instead of water. I'd still think that fat is necessary, but apparently not. I guess I should trim one up and see how it goes.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
      Right. I inject as well. And I've used a 'water pan' before, but filled it with apple juice instead of water. I'd still think that fat is necessary, but apparently not. I guess I should trim one up and see how it goes.
      I think I am going to trim a little bit off. The meat cooked fine but seemed like it needed more time where the thicker fat was.

I went with apple juice this time. It made a pretty nasty mess in the bowl.

Comment

• Just read this whole thread.

I'm gonna experiment a little 2 pound brisket for the first time on my cheap smoker today.

So i should cook it fat side up the whole time right?

Wrap or not to wrap it at the end?

I didnt read anything about mopping the brisket, i assume thats usually done for ribs?
        Originally posted by 03trubluGT
        Your opinion is what sucks.
        You are too stupied and arrogant

Comment

• fat side up, wrap is optional. If you feel it is getting too dry, wrap it i suppose.

Comment

• I smoke fat side down on brisket. The only time I wrap a brisket is if it has been on for 3 hours or so AND if I'm using wood as my main fuel source. Too much smoke can make it bitter.

Comment

• I do fat side up

2 lbs brisket maybe a pain in the ass.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

• Anyone seen any good price on brisket yet? Thinking of cooking one this weekend.

Comment

• I do fat side up the whole time, and start mopping about 3 hours in. My mop is simple. 1:1 ratio of oil and apple cider vinegar, half a yellow onion, diced, and add in a couple tablespoons of whatever rub you make/use.

Comment

• So I have a question about resting a brisket after pulling it out of the smoker when it's done. So I smoked a brisket yesterday and afterwards I wrapped it in foil and put it in a cooler to rest. I put it in the cooler around 2pm and got it out around 8pm to serve.

So my question, is it possible to "over" rest a brisket?? I know after you pull a brisket out of the smoker, it continues to cook a little longer. Before I pulled mine out yesterday, I was checking the temperature in different areas of the brisket and the probe was going in pretty smooth and the internal temperature was at 180°. When I pulled it out of the cooler I had it resting in, I started to carve it up and it was pretty tough. Did I somehow overcook it by resting it in the cooler for to long?

Comment

• Undercooked it. Should have cooked it to 200

Comment

• Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                        Undercooked it. Should have cooked it to 200
                        I think you might have things confused. I'm talking about I smoked it at around 210º-220º on the smoker till it reached an internal temperature of around 180º.

Comment

• Nope. Should cook it to 190-200 internally. Breaks down the fat further

Comment

• Originally posted by Jose View Post
                            I think you might have things confused. I'm talking about I smoked it at around 210º-220º on the smoker till it reached an internal temperature of around 180º.

I generally pull mine at 185-190, however, my resting period is 2 hours max, after that you're just going to toughen the meat up. Either you'll need to try and time it out where it's done closer to when you want to eat it, or go ahead and let it cool down and then toss it back in the smoker or over (wrapped in foil) for about 15-20 minutes and warm it back up. Also, make sure you're slicing across the grain, that makes a big difference in tenderness as well.

Comment

Undercooked it. Should have cooked it to 200
                              Agreed. The closer you get the internal temp to 200, the more tender it will be.

Comment

Anyone seen any good price on brisket yet? Thinking of cooking one this weekend.
                                Everyone i'm seeing is $6-7 /lb right now.

Trying to find one to smoke on Wednesday.
                                WRX

Comment

Working...
                                X