Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high school student leaves everything on the court

literally.

A western Michigan high school basketball player collapsed on the court and later died after making the game-winning shot to cap his team's perfect season.

Wes Leonard collapsed on court

* Email
    * Print
    * Comments122

ESPN.com news services

FENNVILLE, Mich. -- A western Michigan high school basketball player collapsed on the court amid his teammates and celebrating fans and later died after making the game-winning shot that capped his team's perfect season.

Holland Hospital spokeswoman Deb Patterson said 16-year-old Fennville High School junior Wes Leonard died Thursday night. A cause of death has not yet been determined.

Paramedics performed CPR on Leonard before he was pronounced dead at the hospital, Patterson said.

"Obviously, in the midst of celebration, I think shocking is exactly the word," Fennville superintendent Dirk Weeldreyer told The Holland Sentinel before Leonard's ambulance left the high school.

Leonard had scored the game-winning layup in a 57-55 overtime win against Bridgman to complete Fennville's 20-0 regular season. Leonard fell to the ground after teammates and fans rushed the court.

"It's tough to take in," Leonard's teammate, Shane Bale, told The Holland Sentinel. "It's like somebody from your family, you know?"

Leonard scored more than 1,000 points in three seasons at Fennville, which is about 200 miles west of Detroit. According to the Grand Rapids Press, Leonard also was the quarterback of the school's football team and led the Blackhawks to the second round of the state playoffs. In October, he threw seven touchdown passes in one game.

In an interview with the Sentinel at Tuesday's practice, Fennville basketball coach Ryan Klingler talked about how Leonard had a great drive to succeed and that he saw the "bigger picture."

"That's what makes him a little different. He takes care of his body better than probably anybody I've ever coached," Klingler said. "Spends a lot of time on his own in the weight room. He's a special kid."

Leonard is the second Fennville athlete to die in 14 months. Wrestler Nathaniel Hernandez died in January after suffering a seizure at home following his participation in a high school match. He was 14.

"We are all hurting now," coach Rocky Johnson, whose Bangor High team faced Fennville three times this season, told the Grand Rapids newspaper.

"My son and Wes played AAU in different programs, but we saw each other all summer, all spring, and he's the kind of kid that I would make sure to say hi to him and he would go out of his way to say hi to me," Johnson said. "He always had something good to say, all positives."

Fennville is scheduled to begin district play in the state playoffs Monday.

Information from The Associated Press was included in this report.

Damn sad story.... RIP

Comment

Damn. Kid was playing lights out.

Comment

Originally posted by 78X View Post
        In October, he threw seven touchdown passes in one game.
        Polk High?
        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Pretty sad story. RIP

Sounds like he could have possibly been a good collegiate athlete too.

Comment

Originally posted by that_is_my_el_camino View Post
            polk high?

lmao

Comment

yea, very sad
              Los Angeles Rams 11-5
              Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
              Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

Originally posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post