Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad day to be a Broncos fan

Bailey selling Colorado home with playing future uncertain

Champ Bailey put his suburban Denver home on the market. His services as one of the NFL's best cornerbacks might be next.

Bailey's agent, Jack Reale, told The Denver Post on Wednesday that the 10-time Pro Bowl cornerback is selling his Littleton, Colo., house. The development was a bit of a surprise, considering it came one day after new Broncos coach John Fox told the newspaper that contract talks with Bailey had resumed.

"He's a guy we have strong feelings about," Fox said, according to The Post. "We've had some dialogue there. There have been discussions.

"He's a guy we definitely want to bring back. You never know how things like that work out, but we're moving forward as best we know how."

Bailey, a 12-year NFL veteran, will be eligible for unrestricted free agency once the NFL and its players' union agree to a new collective bargaining agreement. The current deal expires March 3.

Reale told The Post that he wouldn't comment on the current state of negotiations. He also wouldn't reveal what Bailey selling his house means for his future in Denver, although the cornerback has said he wants to join a title-contending team. The Broncos tied for the second-worst record in the NFL this past season at 4-12.

The Post reported that it's unlikely the Broncos will apply their franchise tag to Bailey because it could cost them as much as $15 million. The newspaper also noted that the team isn't totally opposed to letting the cornerback leave.

Bailey's expiring contract was a seven-year, $63 million deal.

According to The Post, the sides were negotiating a four-year, $40 million-plus extension this fall -- and Bailey's representatives believed they had the framework of a deal -- before the team stopped talks, partly because of fears over

I really hope they keep Champ Bailey.... I mean seriously the guy still has 3-4 years left in the tank. He is still one of the top corners in the league with out question.

It could be he just doesn't want to be stuck with a huge mortgage and no job.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
      It could be he just doesn't want to be stuck with a huge mortgage and no job.
      I sure hope so.... That's probably one of my favorite players in the NFL. The guy just goes out there and gives it 100% everytime he's on the field!

Comment

Jerry needs to nut up and give the man a 3 year contract, and QUICK! That way they can address the OL and Safety in the draft...
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          Jerry needs to nut up and give the man a 3 year contract, and QUICK! That way they can address the OL and Safety in the draft...
          I don't think that will be happening anytime soon. Free Agency is going to be a bitch this offseason. Alot of these guys are just going to float around it looks like, until the CBA gets resolved.

Comment

don't forget the Raiders cb is also a free agent....

That's two very big corners in free agency this year.

If Bailey somehow landed in Dallas, LOL. I'd actually root for the Boys to win a few more games

Comment

I don't think it will realistically happen. With Bailey or with what's his name in Oakland.

Kiper has Dallas taking Prince Amakamura at #9.

Comment

I don't think it will realistically happen. With Bailey or with what's his name in Oakland.

Kiper has Dallas taking Prince Amakamura at #9.
                Adios T-new.

Comment

Adios T-new.
                  A lot of people seem to think that Prince can be developed to play safety. Don't be so sure if they sign a FA, or draft Prince, that Newman is going anywhere.

Comment

Good news. My reliable source in Denver just told me "Elway just tweeted that they want Champ to finish his career in Denver and they are working on it."

I say keep Champ and draft Peterson.

Comment

Originally posted by papapepper View Post
                      Good news. My reliable source in Denver just told me "Elway just tweeted that they want Champ to finish his career in Denver and they are working on it."

I say keep Champ and draft Peterson.
                      Yall have bigger needs than a corner. MUCH bigger needs than a corner.

Comment

A lot of people seem to think that Prince can be developed to play safety. Don't be so sure if they sign a FA, or draft Prince, that Newman is going anywhere.
                        I haven't felt comfortable with Newman the day he got of the plane from Kansas. We need to dip in free agency AND the draft to clear up the d-backfield issues.

Comment

Yall have bigger needs than a corner. MUCH bigger needs than a corner.
                          We need some pass rushers.... Also we need corners if Parish goes to jail. Elvis should be back this season unless he happens to get hurt again during the offseason and is injured all year. He led the NFL in sacks the year before last.

Denver needs a lot of pieces and I'm not completely sold on Brian Dawkins I think he had a bad year and really needs to make up for it this season!

Comment

I haven't felt comfortable with Newman the day he got of the plane from Kansas. We need to dip in free agency AND the draft to clear up the d-backfield issues.
                            I don't disagree, I'm just saying that it's not going to happen. Jerry isn't going to make a splash like signing Bailey or Asomugha with the lockout looming. Hell, he can't even afford either one of them! Asomugha is going to bring top dollar. Bailey won't be top dollar, but I'm certain he would be content taking less money to finish his career where he's at.

Comment

Originally posted by papapepper View Post
                              We need some pass rushers.... Also we need corners if Parish goes to jail. Elvis should be back this season unless he happens to get hurt again during the offseason and is injured all year. He led the NFL in sacks the year before last.

Denver needs a lot of pieces and I'm not completely sold on Brian Dawkins I think he had a bad year and really needs to make up for it this season!
                              You need a TE, OL, WR, RB, etc. You're on crack if you really think they should, or will draft Peterson. Too many other glaring holes to waste a pick on Peterson when you've already got a HOF corner and a hell of a safety.

Comment

Working...
                              X