Football with no Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football with no Pads

I was watching the World Cup for Rugby Saturday, which was my first time actually sitting down to understand the game. The whole time I couldn't get past the idea of why football needs the helmets and pads. I know Rugby isn't as fast of a game as football and players heads still need to be protected with some sort of helmet. But these guys are running around with nothing and I saw very few injuries.

I don't know if the NFL, college football, and high school could ever get past the idea of all the gear. I am sure there is a monetary gain with the image of football player all geared up compared to a guy just wearing a normal jersey.

I don't really want my kids playing football right now, but I honestly wouldn't mind him playing a game in my back yard with his friends.

You do not know the meaning of "Mean ass mother fucker" until you have met a man who has played professionally on an overseas rugby team. They get hurt badly and simply do not care.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Rugby has strict tackling rules and impact speeds arent remotely close to nfl.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        Those speeds exist because there are pads to protect them. If you gave rugby players pads, they would speed up. Take the pads off nfl players, they would slow down. It's all about risk of injury. See early football days, completely different pace.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Have a good friend that played college football, played in Europe and transitioned to rugby. He's a real sick fuck that enjoys pain. He has got me watching rugby, it's fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
            And the AFL said fuck those rules.
            Originally posted by lincolnboy
            After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

They aren't to cushion blows from other players, they are there so you can use your body to tackle or hit people.
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Rugby is fun. I play for fort worth!
                ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                  They aren't to cushion blows from other players, they are there so you can use your body to tackle or hit people.
                  Oh okay.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                    Those speeds exist because there are pads to protect them. If you gave rugby players pads, they would speed up. Take the pads off nfl players, they would slow down. It's all about risk of injury. See early football days, completely different pace.
                    Rugby has no forward pass and no blocking so the distance from ball carrier to tackler is typically much shorter in rugby. Rugby players definitely go "full speed" but there's never really a situation that mimics something like a crossing route in football where the violent collisions happen. Play also doesn't stop after every tackle so the emphasis is getting the guy down and slowing down the ball, not always going for a big hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
                      Rugby has no forward pass and no blocking so the distance from ball carrier to tackler is typically much shorter in rugby. Rugby players definitely go "full speed" but there's never really a situation that mimics something like a crossing route in football where the violent collisions happen. Play also doesn't stop after every tackle so the emphasis is getting the guy down and slowing down the ball, not always going for a big hit.

Beat me to it. Rugby plays dont develop the same as football does...the whole forward pass...and just the dynamic overall.

But i do agree with CJ that taking pads away will slow it down too.

Comment

Working...
                      X