Texas, ESPN agree to $300 million deal for new network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas, ESPN agree to $300 million deal for new network

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- The University of Texas has reached a 20-year, $300 million deal with ESPN for a television network that will broadcast Longhorn sports and other content.

A news conference to formally announce the contract was scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. University spokesman Don Hale confirmed the contract details.

The deal includes Texas' licensing and marketing partner IMG, with more than 80 percent of revenue set to go to the university.

George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN Inc. and ABC Sports, called the network "a testament to the school's remarkable, tradition-rich success and widespread, devoted fan base."

Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    Originally posted by 03trubluGT
    Your opinion is what sucks.
    You are too stupied and arrogant

All i need now is for DirecTv to step up

Comment

like i care about this
      Los Angeles Rams 11-5
      Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
      Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

Originally posted by pHILSANITY07 View Post
        like i care about this
        You will care about my post in the head coach thread.

Comment

Originally posted by pHILSANITY07 View Post
          like i care about this

I got an easy solution for ya. Keep your ass out

Comment

What a complete and total waste of airwaves. It's going to be a 24/7/365 commercial for UT. They don't have nearly enough decent content to fill all that time with.

I understand why UT is doing it, I just don't agree with the move or their tactics. But hey, more power to them. I just don't see this thing lasting 1 yr, much less 20. Ad revenue is going to be difficult to generate for the most part.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              What a complete and total waste of airwaves. It's going to be a 24/7/365 commercial for UT. They don't have nearly enough decent content to fill all that time with.

I understand why UT is doing it, I just don't agree with the move or their tactics. But hey, more power to them. I just don't see this thing lasting 1 yr, much less 20. Ad revenue is going to be difficult to generate for the most part.
              *snickering*

Comment

Originally posted by BERT View Post
                *snickering*
                To be perfectly honest, I'd laugh at OU if they had been the first to do this as well. Just seems pointless to me. I friggin love OU, but there just isn't enough going on up in Norman to need/want a 24/7 OU channel.

Comment

To be perfectly honest, I'd laugh at OU if they had been the first to do this as well. Just seems pointless to me. I friggin love OU, but there just isn't enough going on up in Norman to need/want a 24/7 OU channel.

Did you read the article? It's not just football or even athletics

Comment

They have a tranny cheerleader. Give it it's own show. That could be funny.
                    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Did you read the article? It's not just football or even athletics
                      Yes, I did. And I still don't see how that changes anything.

Comment

Yes, I did. And I still don't see how that changes anything.

If it was just UT sports, or even current UT sports, i would agree with you. They could fill time with past games alone

Comment

If it was just UT sports, or even current UT sports, i would agree with you. They could fill time with past games alone
                          Surely you get my point though. I mean, really.... Other than former UT alum that happen to be lesbians, who the fuck is going to watch UT women's basketball? Softball, I'll admit, I watch 20 minutes here or there when there are some hot chicks playing.

And I did read that they are going to do some academic programming as well, but who in the hell wants to watch that? That's why I said generating ad revenue is going to be difficult. First off, they start off with a limited market (UT fans, followers, etc), then you even further alienate from the general market by airing academic programming? It just doesn't make business sense to me, that's all.

Comment

Surely you get my point though. I mean, really.... Other than former UT alum that happen to be lesbians, who the fuck is going to watch UT women's basketball? Softball, I'll admit, I watch 20 minutes here or there when there are some hot chicks playing.

And I did read that they are going to do some academic programming as well, but who in the hell wants to watch that? That's why I said generating ad revenue is going to be difficult. First off, they start off with a limited market (UT fans, followers, etc), then you even further alienate from the general market by airing academic programming? It just doesn't make business sense to me, that's all.

Oh i understand. And if they're showing softball while Cat Osterman was there, i'd watch her ass all day long

Might put volleyball in that catagory too.

Comment

Hell, they could pipe in live coverage of 6th street in the off-seasons. 250 small music venues? Hell, yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X