Elway announces ex-Panther Fox will be Broncos' new coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elway announces ex-Panther Fox will be Broncos' new coach

It didn't take long for John Fox to find a new home.

Watch NFL Playoff games online and in HD with NFL Game Rewind. Sign up now to get full access to the Postseason archives.
    The former Carolina Panthers coach agreed to terms to take over the Denver Broncos, the team announced Thursday, only one day after Fox met with new executive vice president of football operations John Elway.

"I am very thankful to (owner) Pat Bowlen and John Elway for giving me the opportunity to coach a football team with such a proud tradition," Fox said in a statement. "The Broncos have a culture of winning, and I am excited to continue that legacy."

Elway broke the news on Twitter, calling Fox "a dynamic and proven leader who will energize our entire organization."

Fox, 55, spent the last nine seasons as Carolina's coach, going 73-71 and winning five of eight games in three trips to the playoffs. The Panthers were coming off a 1-15 season when he took over in 2002, and Fox led them to a 7-9 mark in his first year before guiding them to the Super Bowl in his second season.

Fox's contract wasn't renewed after he led the Panthers to a 2-14 record this season.

Fox now will fill out his Broncos coaching staff, and former Seattle Seahawks and Atlanta Falcons coach Jim Mora is candidate to be defensive coordinator, a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora. Before becoming a head coach, Mora was the defensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers from 1999 to 2003. He's now an NFL Network analyst.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Let's go Broncos!!!! Good move IMO.

Good hire for the Broncos. And good for John Fox. I have a feeling there is a lot more to the story with his success, or lack thereof (depending on your view) in Carolina. Money is obviously a problem there. Being handcuffed to a money problem is no fun, and IMO, shouldn't affect your worth as a coach.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I dont think its a good move, his team went 2-14 last year. Though the owners of the Panthers (Weavers I think) have been known to be cheap assholes. Old coaches have not been succsefull in the NFL because their schemes get figured out.
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by BOOSTED32V View Post
        I dont think its a good move, his team went 2-14 last year. Though the owners of the Panthers (Weavers I think) have been known to be cheap assholes. Old coaches have not been succsefull in the NFL because their schemes get figured out.
        He did turn Carolina around and went 13-3 I believe with Jake Delhomes LOL

Comment

Yup and took them to the SB, but in this league it has always been a 'What have you done for me this past season'...
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

It has to be an improvement over what we had. Carolina has the first pick, Denver second, so it's bound to get better!

Comment

Average coach coaching an average talented team. Average results.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                Average coach coaching an average talented team. Average results.
                IMO, the Panther have what I consider far below average players. Besides Steve Smith and Stewart, they have NOBODY.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  IMO, the Panther have what I consider far below average players. Besides Steve Smith and Stewart, they have NOBODY.
                  Which is possibly a direct result of his drafting. Maybe he didn't have the authority to draft who he wanted in Carolina, I don't know, but that guy was there for a long time and that team just got worse and worse after that super bowl.

Comment

Which is possibly a direct result of his drafting. Maybe he didn't have the authority to draft who he wanted in Carolina, I don't know, but that guy was there for a long time and that team just got worse and worse after that super bowl.
                    Like I said, I think it comes down to money. When was the last time they splashed the free agent market?

Besides, drafting isn't 100% based on the coach's opinion. That's why they have a scouting dept, and a head of the scouting dept. Yes, the coach has input, but he's just one guy, out of multiple.

Comment

meh, its the same old argument. If they want you to cook the dinner, they should at least let you buy the food.

Yea, he is only one guy, but in the end, a good coach can make players better than they really are. Bellichik is proof of that. I don't think half that team would start on other teams.

Comment

Originally posted by BOOSTED32V View Post
                        Yup and took them to the SB, but in this league it has always been a 'What have you done for me this past season'...
                        Yeah. Delhomme was rewarded for his 5 interceptions in the 2008 Wild Card round with a 5 year extension. I don't think Fox was the problem in Carolina.
                        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I don't think half that team would start on other teams.
                          Outside of the two I mentioned, I don't think a single one of the other 51 on the roster would start on another team. Again, $$$$$. Carolina is a shit market, has shit ticket sales, and has shit to spend. Their roster reflects it.

Of course, this is just my lowly opinion. Fox has a lot of respect around the league. I think he is the least of their problems.

Comment

i like the move. I think ita not Xox's fault that they were bad this. 2 QB's that had little to no experience. Injuries left and right
                            Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                            Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
                            Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

When a coach is handed decisions by cheap assholes, they do what they can. Fox is a good coach and will have the commitment and resources of the Broncos to get back on top. I think it is a solid choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X