Kingsbury back in LBK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kingsbury back in LBK

When Tommy Tuberville abruptly left Texas Tech last weekend for Cincinnati, the most obvious candidate to replace him was Kliff Kingsbury. Kingsbury was a record-setting quarterback at Texas Tech, and had an impressive year at Texas A&M as the Aggies' … Continue reading

Kliff Kingsbury coming home to Texas Tech to be Red Raiders head coach

When Tommy Tuberville abruptly left Texas Tech last weekend for Cincinnati, the most obvious candidate to replace him was Kliff Kingsbury.

Kingsbury was a record-setting quarterback at Texas Tech, and had an impressive year at Texas A&M as the Aggies' offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Johnny Manziel won the Heisman Trophy with Kingsbury's help this year. Kingsbury also had a great run coordinating the offense at Houston under Kevin Sumlin, who brought Kingsbury along when he left for Texas A&M.

So it should be no surprise that Kingsbury agreed to come back to Lubbock to be Texas Tech's next head coach.

Texas Tech announced it in a fun social media-friendly way, with athletic director Kirby Hocutt tweeting out, "Red Raider Nation, your new head football coach is........ " and linking to a yfrog video of him teasing the new hire, then the camera pans to Kingsbury who gives a "Wreck 'em, Tech." Pretty cool.
    The question is, whether Kingsbury is the right man for the job, or just a famous name from his playing past.

Kingsbury is young (he turned 33 last August), so there is probably some trepidation by Red Raiders fans about his hire. Because he played professionally until 2008, he hasn't had much time in the coaching field. He was a offensive quality control assistant as recently as 2009. After two years doing that, he was Houston's co-offensive coordinator for two years before spending the last year at Texas A&M. That's not much experience for a head coach in the Big 12.

But Kingsbury does bring back a link to the Mike Leach era for those who remember it fondly, and judging by the past few years, he has a good offensive mind.

If Texas Tech is lucky, they caught a rising star in coaching and won't take too long to learn how to lead a program.

Piss on Tuberville. It may take a few years, but Kingsbury might be just what Tech needs.

Comment

This is a big gamble for tech, 33 year old with limited experience. But he seems to learn quickly, the play calling between the first game and the Alabama game was huge. I think it may take a few years for him to get what he needs to win. Kind of saw this coming, guy never wore maroon

Comment

I sure wanted to keep him a few more years with Johnny but I still hope the best for him. he's a good guy and a great OC. Hopefully for Tech fans hes as good a Head coach

Comment

Comment

My question with Kingsbury is the same that i had with Harsin and Chris Petersen. Was it Kingsbury's offense or was it Sumlin's?

Comment

Am I the only one that thinks this is a bad idea?

Comment

With the exception of Art Briles I think Kingsbury was the best option for Tech.

Comment

He has learned a lot under Sumlin, yes he's a bit young and inexperienced, but I think it's a good spot for him. I still wish he had stayed with the Aggies a few more years, but you gotta chase that money.

Isn't anything an improvement for Tech?

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lurch View Post

Nope

I thought Chad Morris would've been a good fit at Tech.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lurch View Post
                        I've heard they are paying $2 million a year, way too much for an unproven 33 year old that has been a sole OC for 1 year. Heck Sumlin is only getting $2.4. Like I said before he was schooled on play calling by LSU and Florida, they adjusted and he did not adjust. I see this being the same if he is as smart as they say he is, 3-4 years and the team will be good. The benefit of having an older coach is more contacts for assistant coaches, he can't have much.

Comment

Working...
                        X