Dallas Cowboys' Tyron Smith battling family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas Cowboys' Tyron Smith battling family

Looks like Tyron has some family problems.
    The unfortunate story of Dallas Cowboys offensive tackle Tyron Smith continues.

Police were called to his home Tuesday where siblings were there to "harass and torment" Smith "in the pursuit of collecting financial gain," according to the police report. His lawyer, John Schorsch, will likely take legal action. He claims Smith's family has constantly demanded money and more than $1 million is missing without his permission.

Frankie Pinkney, Smith's mother, confirmed that two of his stepsisters were among three people that showed up at his house. She said there have been no family demands for money. Pinkney emailed the Dallas Morning News saying ongoing family issues had nothing to do with money. She wrote that Smith has hurt and betrayed her and blamed his girlfriend Leigh Costa.

"They had not seen nor talked to him in months due to a family disagreement, which by the way, was not about finances," Pinkney wrote. "The family disagreement was about his girlfriend, who is five years older than Tyron, who is a big part of the confusion in our family right now.

"Leigh reported that my daughters were threatening her, and they were demanding money. My daughters did not make any threats."

Smith filed a restraining order against his mother and stepfather Roy Pinkney during the summer to cut off any contact with him or Costa. Frankie Pinkney admitted that Smith gave the family a significant amount of money after he signed a four-year, $12.5 million deal after being selected No. 9 overall out of USC in 2011.

"It was structured over a period of time," Pinkney said. "He's agreed to give us a certain amount of a certain period of time throughout his contract.

"I know most mothers would say their sons would never hurt them nor betray them for anyone. I'm here to tell you that I thought the same thing, but it happened to me."

Schorsch and Costa opposed Pinkney's claims. Smith declined comment.

This is one of the saddest stories of the year and it will not end well
    Cowboys left tackle Tyron Smith called police for protection from his own family

Dallas Cowboys left tackle Tyron Smith has been through a lot in his season-and-a-half in the National Football League. As the No. 9 overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft and the youngest player in the league last season, Smith overcame the lack of an NFL offseason due to the lockout to start all 16 games at right tackle, missing just eight of the Cowboys' 1,048 offensive snaps. Smith was moved to left tackle this season and hasn't missed a snap as he anchors an offensive line which ranks third in Football Outsiders' "Adjusted Sack Rate" entering Week 9.

While the 21-year-old has admirably handled his business on the field, Smith has been quietly dealing with family issues off it. Specifically, several members of Smith's family are seeking larger pieces of the four-year, $12,496,098 contract Smith signed on July 28, 2011.

According to Brandon George of the Dallas Morning News, Smith called Dallas police on Tuesday afternoon to his North Dallas home as two of his three sisters, along with another unidentified individual, had arrived to "harass and torment" the 6-foot-5, 307-pound left tackle for their own financial gain.

The report goes on to state that Smith filed a protective order that keeps his mother and stepfather from having any contact with him. Smith is from Southern California and the Cowboys spent part of training camp in Oxnard. The protective order kept his family from visiting camp and at least one family member had to be removed from the facility, George adds.

"Lesser means were tried and they weren't successful," said John Schorsch, one of Smith's Dallas-based attorneys. "You can use your own imagination as to what it took for a guy that big and that imposing to be that worried."

When it comes to avoiding being used like an ATM machine by family members, athletes should take any steps available and necessary, including the involvement of authorities. While most players don't mind supporting the family financially, lines have to be established as it's the athlete who is putting his life and physical well-being on the line each and every week and those large paychecks do not last forever.

The earlier a player realizes that, the less likely he is from becoming the next Adam "Pacman" Jones, who told rookies at this year's symposium that he blew $1 million in a single weekend. Jones is making the league minimum from the Cincinnati Bengals, and he's one of the lucky ones. Free-agent quarterback Vince Young's financial struggles were well-chronicled this summer, as has the saga of future Hall of Fame wide receiver Terrell Owens. Financial problems, aided by the strain of having to support an extended family after his playing career was over, was an issue at the heart of the tragic end of Junior Seau's life.

While Smith's contract guarantees him nearly $12.5 million over four seasons, the money was not distributed evenly as 63.7 percent of the contract was paid out over the first eight months. Smith earned $375,000 in base salary in 2011, which is usually doled out in weekly installments ($22,059 per week, before taxes), and received a $7,588,072 signing bonus, nearly half of which ($3,759,036) was deferred until March 15, 2012. Smith has base salaries of $943,004 in 2012, $1,511,009 in 2013 and $2,079,013 in 2014, the fourth and final year of the deal. The Cowboys have from between the final game of the 2013 regular season and May 3, 2014 to exercise their "fifth-year option" on Smith for the 2015 season. That option will be worth the value of the Transition tag for the 2014 season and guaranteed for injury only, with the amount becoming fully guaranteed if Smith remains on the Cowboys' roster on the first day of the 2015 league year.

wagers on who they will be voting for?

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Sucks that so many players have to endure this, because of the trashy ass families they came from. I don't blame him one bit for the restraining orders, and if he decides to sue, good for him. I heard on the radio his mom and step dad on a dry cleaning business in SoCal. So, it's not like they are flat broke. Money grubbing trash.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
        I heard on the radio his mom and step dad on a dry cleaning business ...
        Deluxe apartment in the sky! Moooooooo$$$$$$$$$$$$$$vin' on up.

Choooooo$$$$$$$ chooooooo$$$$$$$$$$
        Originally posted by davbrucas
        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          Sucks that so many players have to endure this, because of the trashy ass families they came from. I don't blame him one bit for the restraining orders, and if he decides to sue, good for him. I heard on the radio his mom and step dad on a dry cleaning business in SoCal. So, it's not like they are flat broke. Money grubbing trash.
          He needs to get to kicking some family ass

Comment

Odds are when he retires, he'll be another Vince Young story. Leeches suck those poor bastards dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
              Odds are when he retires, he'll be another Vince Young story. Leeches suck those poor bastards dry.
              from everything i understand about the situation he is miles and miles ahead of Vince Young and all the other finance retarded athletes.

Comment

Working...
              X