NFL Head Coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phillips likely candidate for DC role after Texans fire Bush

Houston Texans defensive coordinator Frank Bush was fired Monday by coach Gary Kubiak, suggesting that Kubiak will return for a sixth season in 2010 following a trouble-filled 6-10 campaign, according to the Houston Chronicle on Monday.

Kubiak is expected to announce Bush's departure in a meeting with reporters Monday afternoon. Bush joined the Texans in 2007 as a defensive assistant, and spent the past two season as defensive coordinator.

Bush harbored no illusions of retaining his job entering Sunday's season finale against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"I've got to find a way to sell myself to another organization," Bush told the Houston Chronicle on Friday. "I'll stay positive. I'll stay upbeat. I'll keep believing in the things I do."

Bush, who ran the Texans' defense for two seasons, could be replaced by former Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Phillips, league sources told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora last week. Phillips would inherit a unit that ranked last against the pass (267.5 yards per game) and 29th overall (376.9 yards per game) this season.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

-
    -
    -

Vikings Name Leslie Frazier Eighth Head Coach In Team History

Eden Prairie, MN (January 3, 2011) - The Minnesota Vikings and Leslie Frazier have reached an agreement that will remove the interim tag from Frazier’s title and make him the eighth head coach in franchise history.

Frazier’s hiring follows his appointment as the team’s interim head coach for the final six games of the 2010 season. Under Frazier, the Vikings finished 3-3, including 2-1 on the road after losing the previous nine consecutive away games.

Even more notable than the wins was Frazier’s consistent composure and steady guidance during the tumultuous final four weeks of the season. In that time the Vikings were forced to play home games at Detroit’s Ford Field and the University of Minnesota’s TCF Bank Stadium following the roof collapse at Mall of America Field at the Metrodome in early December. Frazier also led the Vikings to an upset victory against the NFC East Champion Philadelphia Eagles last week after a winter snow storm forced the Vikings to spend three nights in a Philadelphia hotel.

“We are very excited to announce Leslie Frazier as the new Head Coach of the Minnesota Vikings,” said Vikings Owner/President Mark Wilf. “Leslie is well-respected by our players, coaches and front office staff and has proven to be a winner on the field at every level of playing and coaching. He has a strong presence in the locker room and is an excellent leader, as demonstrated during some of the recent challenges we have faced.”

Prior to being named interim head coach, Frazier served as the Vikings defensive coordinator from 2007-10, adding Assistant Head Coach to his title in 2008. His defensive units have ranked in the top 10 in each of the last three seasons (#6 in 2008, #6 in 2009 and #8 in 2010) while notching 162 sacks from 2007-10 (40.5 avg. per season), the 5th-most of any NFL team during that time. Under Frazier, the Vikings defense allowed the 2nd-fewest rushing yards per game (85.1 avg.) and the 9th-fewest points per game (20.4 avg.) in the NFL over the last four years.

“We are thrilled that Leslie Frazier will continue to lead this football team,” said Vikings Owner/Chairman Zygi Wilf. “Our players and entire organization have great respect for Leslie. He has a vast knowledge of the game, both as a former player and as a coach, and he has a terrific way with those who play for him and work with him. We are very fortunate to have him as our Head Coach and look forward to many successful years together.”

Frazier has a total of 18 years in the NFL – 12 as a coach and six as a player – and has won Super Bowl titles in both roles. His first title came as a starting cornerback with the 1985 Chicago Bears in Super Bowl XX, and he later won Super Bowl XLI as a defensive backs coach with the Indianapolis Colts. In his 12 NFL seasons and 11 years of collegiate coaching experience, Frazier has suffered losing seasons only twice. Over the last 12 years, he has coached on seven playoff teams and has been a part of six division championships.
    “I could not have asked for a better opportunity in the National Football League,” said Frazier. “The Wilf family has continually shown dedication to building a world-class football organization and is a tremendous family to work with as we try to create and sustain a Championship-caliber team. I have a deep respect for our players and those within the organization that I have gotten to know over the last four years and I am very happy to lead our football team moving forward.”

As well as Frazier is known for his coaching abilities, he is also recognized for his community involvement off the field. He works closely with All-Pro Dad, an organization that stresses the importance of fathers taking an active role in the lives of their children and putting family first, and he and his wife, Gale, continue to be involved in the Vikings community efforts.

-
    -
    -

Del Rio's job safe with Jags despite December swoon

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A person with knowledge of the situation says Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio's job is safe.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because Weaver has not made his decision public. Weaver will address the media at 5:30 p.m.

The Jaguars (8-8) ended the season with a three-game losing streak, blowing a chance to clinch the AFC South and return to the postseason for the first time in three years. Jacksonville ended last year on a four-game slide, and the team is 4-11 in December and January under Del Rio the last three years.

Weaver has been patient with the small-market franchise's progress, even keeping Del Rio around after he changed front-office personnel after the 2008 season and parted ways with a big portion of the roster.

Del Rio, 66-65 with the Jaguars, is the first coach since the NFL merger in 1970 to lead the same team for eight years without capturing a division title.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

Comment

Hopefully Elway has a good conversation with Harbaugh tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
        Hopefully Elway has a good conversation with Harbaugh tonight.
        You think he'll be coming to Denver?

Maybe trade Tebow and Orton for 5-7 draft picks and rebuild that defense and go get Andrew Luck in the draft at #2!

Otherwise keep Tebow and trade Orton already because everyone knows he can be a starter for just about any team and draft Peterson if Champ is gone.

Comment

So Jeff Fisher job might just be safe.... Only catch is Vince Young has got to go! Where will he end of next season? Miami?

Comment

Originally posted by papapepper View Post
            So Jeff Fisher job might just be safe.... Only catch is Vince Young has got to go! Where will he end of next season? Miami?
            Backup in Dallas.

Comment

I heard the NFC West was looking for a few average QB's.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                I heard the NFC West was looking for a few average QB's.
                I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him wind up at Seattle, or Arizona.

So - Garrett is the Cowboys head coach. Garrett is wanting to bring in the OC from Wisconsin (apparently he missed the game the other night), but won't bring him in as OC. Not sure why he wants him. All official reports state that JG will not only be the HC, but the OC as well. This isn't going to end well, folks. You heard it here first.

That concerns me, big time. DC also concerns me. I don't trust Garrett to make these decisions on who, why, etc. He can't even run an effective offense for fuck's sake.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Teams i think are looking for a QB for next year

Arizona - Derek Anderson wasnt the answer
                  Seattle - Hassellbeck's contract is up at the end of the year.
                  Miami - Henne isnt the real deal
                  Carolina - Clausen is overrated
                  Washington - McNabb will probably be traded this offseason
                  Titans - Kerry Collins is getting old, and Vince Young is still a pussy
                  Vikings - Weeb could turn into something, but I doubt it
                  Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                  Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
                  Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

It looks like Al Davis just cut the cable! Damn. I didn't see that one coming.

Comment

It looks like Al Davis just cut the cable! Damn. I didn't see that one coming.
                      Been rumored since Saturday or Sunday. Just more proof of Al Davis' idiocy. Finally, things were starting to turn around for that team.
                      How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

yup, Cable is gone. I dont understand why they made that move.
                        Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                        Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
                        Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

I don't get the Tom Cable thing either. If Davis wanted him gone, he should have jumped at the opportunity after Cable punched that coach, player, whatever it was. I think that was a dumbass move.

Todd Bowles is in Dallas, interviewing for HC and DC position with the Cowboys. Which I'm sure is all fluff, meaning Bowles is being interviewed for the DC position.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                            I don't get the Tom Cable thing either. If Davis wanted him gone, he should have jumped at the opportunity after Cable punched that coach, player, whatever it was. I think that was a dumbass move.

Todd Bowles is in Dallas, interviewing for HC and DC position with the Cowboys. Which I'm sure is all fluff, meaning Bowles is being interviewed for the DC position.
                            Your trying to rationalize an irrational person and his decisions. I stopped long ago, along with Jerry's decisions.

Dallas also interviewed Ray Sherman, who hasn't been a coordinator in like 10 years. hmmmmm pity canadian interview.

Wasn't Bowles here in dallas at some point?

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                              Your trying to rationalize an irrational person and his decisions. I stopped long ago, along with Jerry's decisions.

Dallas also interviewed Ray Sherman, who hasn't been a coordinator in like 10 years. hmmmmm pity canadian interview.

Wasn't Bowles here in dallas at some point?
                              It's being said that Sherman may actually become the OC.

And yes, Bowles was the secondary coach, but left in 06 for Miami.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                                It's being said that Sherman may actually become the OC.

And yes, Bowles was the secondary coach, but left in 06 for Miami.
                                I still don't see how Garrett is going to be able to handle someone else calling the plays. Maybe our offense will be better.

Comment

Working...
                                X