state championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
    Talent at a certain level...it's called "big fish in a small pond". I've experienced it personally and several times in my family. Baseball, track, football, basketball...you name it. Now if a pitcher can throw 95mph in 2A, he can throw 95 in 5A. There's just a bigger talent pool in 5A. There IS a difference. You must be from a 3 or 4A school?

This is getting fun!

A quick example: Texas State XCountry Finals, last spring.

3A winner boys: 15:31 3A winner girls: 11:37
    4A winner boys: 15:07 4A winner girls: 11:06
    5A winner boys: 14:41 5A winner girls: 10:55

Sorry, i went to a 4A school

Comment

It's all the same. Bigger talent pool= better athletics. Maybe not ALL the time, but most of the time. How will you prove your football theory? I remember when Ennis was 4A state champs (2001?) and a decent 5A (Desoto?) whipped their ass like they were a Pop Warner team.

That's fine, I've seen Longview in '08 and '09 drop down to 4A and whoop 5A schools. So now what? You do realize we can go back and forth on this all day and prove nothing lol

Comment

Originally posted by BERT View Post
        Sorry, i went to a 4A school
        Hey...I'm out here where our HS just went 5A this year. They did "OK", but it was a totally different deal than 4A. I'm a booster (though I don't have a player in the house), and it's tough. We now play Duncanville, Cedar Hill, Mansfield, etc.

Comment

That's fine, I've seen Longview in '08 and '09 drop down to 4A and whoop 5A schools. So now what? You do realize we can go back and forth on this all day and prove nothing lol
          I'm saying overall, it's a higher level. There are exceptions, but not too many. Why do you think 4A schools want to stay 4A? Hell, our town has dodged 5A for as long as it could, and wanted to build a new HS just to duck 5A football.

Comment

I'm saying overall, it's a higher level. There are exceptions, but not too many. Why do you think 4A schools want to stay 4A? Hell, our town has dodged 5A for as long as it could, and wanted to build a new HS just to duck 5A football.
            We were just the opposite. They were re-zoning here and we got all pissed about the potential of moving down to 4A. In the end we won.
            Originally posted by Denny
            I call dibs on Don's balls!

Comment

5A football is better for the most part in terms of teams. You can be an outstanding player in either. Hell you can be an outstanding player in 3A.

5A players are going to get better looks, more scholarships and more recognition... as a whole.

5A programs are typically funded better but, again, there are exceptions. The benches will be deeper. They can afford higher paid coaches. They'll get better equipment and training. Again, as a whole.

Look at some of the most talented qbs in recent years... Snead, Mallett, Gilbert, Reesing... all qbs from 4A schools.
              Originally posted by Denny
              I call dibs on Don's balls!

Comment

Originally posted by OldGuysRule View Post
                We were just the opposite. They were re-zoning here and we got all pissed about the potential of moving down to 4A. In the end we won.
                Of course they were pissed! People realize that their kids have more opportunities for big schools to see them play among the most competitive schools. Smaller schools (especially with average programs) know that a move up is not good for their kids. Especially if they had that "big fish, small pond" mentality. We (Midlothian-4A) had a QB a couple of years ago, that was supposedly recruited by Tennessee, Baylor, yada, yada, yada. He wound up at some JC and is back home now.

Comment

Originally posted by OldGuysRule View Post
                  5A football is better for the most part in terms of teams. You can be an outstanding player in either. Hell you can be an outstanding player in 3A.

5A players are going to get better looks, more scholarships and more recognition... as a whole.

5A programs are typically funded better but, again, there are exceptions. The benches will be deeper. They can afford higher paid coaches. They'll get better equipment and training. Again, as a whole.

Look at some of the most talented qbs in recent years... Snead, Mallett, Gilbert, Reesing... all qbs from 4A schools.
                  ...and the 4A schools they come from are exceptional, not the "norm". I'll excuse Gilbert...

Comment

Size is definitely a difference in 5A, but 4A seems to be more focused on the spread offense and a heavy passing attack. Going to a 5A school, we played two 4A teams in our non-district games. Unfortunately it was Grapevine, defending state champions that year, and Southlake under Chase Daniels who went on to win state that year. They beat the living piss out of us. Why? We were bigger and stronger...but we couldn't keep up with them. Both of those teams were fast as hell and there was nothing we could do to match it.
                    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by poopnut2 View Post
                      Size is definitely a difference in 5A, but 4A seems to be more focused on the spread offense and a heavy passing attack. Going to a 5A school, we played two 4A teams in our non-district games. Unfortunately it was Grapevine, defending state champions that year, and Southlake under Chase Daniels who went on to win state that year. They beat the living piss out of us. Why? We were bigger and stronger...but we couldn't keep up with them. Both of those teams were fast as hell and there was nothing we could do to match it.
                      No shame in that. Damn good coaching (some of the best in the nation?), and two of the top 4A programs in the COUNTRY at the time, not to mention Texas.

Grapevine is now 5A, and didn't even make the play-offs.
                      Last edited by Vertnut; 12-21-2010, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Of course they were pissed! People realize that their kids have more opportunities for big schools to see them play among the most competitive schools. Smaller schools (especially with average programs) know that a move up is not good for their kids. Especially if they had that "big fish, small pond" mentality. We (Midlothian-4A) had a QB a couple of years ago, that was supposedly recruited by Tennessee, Baylor, yada, yada, yada. He wound up at some JC and is back home now.

If y'all were a 5A school, he still would've ended up at a JC. Being at 4A didn't make Tenn or Baylor stop looking at him

Comment

No shame in that. Damn good coaching (some of the best in the nation?), and two of the top 4A programs in the COUNTRY at the time, not to mention Texas.

Grapevine is now 5A, and didn't even make the play-offs.
                          Denton Guyer was runner up in 4A the last two years, moved up to 5A this year and got 2nd in state again. Points can be made for both sides of the argument...
                          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
                            Denton Guyer was runner up in 4A the last two years, moved up to 5A this year and got 2nd in state again. Points can be made for both sides of the argument...
                            Yes, and they're called "exceptions".

Comment

If y'all were a 5A school, he still would've ended up at a JC. Being at 4A didn't make Tenn or Baylor stop looking at him
                              You missed my point...It was all talk.

Comment

You missed my point...It was all talk.

AH, i see

Comment

Working...
                                X