Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather on Jeremy Lin

Floyd Mayweather is not going all Lin.

The outspoken boxer who once told rival Manny Pacquiao, a Filipino, to "make some sushi rolls and cook some rice" has retained the title of heavyweight champion of insensitivity by claiming New York Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin is getting national attention for his race rather than his game.

"Jeremy Lin is a good player," Mayweather tweeted Monday, "but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise."

Black players outscore Kobe Bryant every night? Black players who went undrafted rack up at least 20 points and seven assists in each of their first four career starts? Black players go from D-League DNPs to leading the Knicks to five straight wins?

Yes, Lin being Asian is a big part of the story. He's the first American-born player of Taiwanese or Chinese descent to play in the NBA. That's different, and therefore newsworthy. There would probably also be a lot of hype if, say, a black golfer came out of Stanford and started winning golf majors. Or if, just hypothetically, two black sisters from Compton dominated the world of tennis.

We will never share your email address. You can unsubscribe anytime.
    But "Money" probably never thought of that.

Mayweather's comments are ignorant, but what's also disturbing is that there really aren't too many Asian voices to shout bigotry down. Jason Whitlock should have been fired for his awful joke about Lin's anatomy, but don't look for that to happen. What Floyd said isn't nearly as bad, but clearly the half-baked theories that demean Asian-Americans in this country are not as curtailed or chided as they should be. That's in part because there haven't been too many Asian voices in sports media. There haven't been too many respected Asian coaches in the major sports. And let's face it, there haven't been too many outspoken Asian superstars anywhere in American pop culture. Pacquiao, ironically, is one of the most celebrated Asian athletes of our time.

Maybe at some point he'll have a chance to reply to Floyd with his fists.

man i hate mayweather.

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
    Jason Whitlock should have been fired for his awful joke about Lin's anatomy, but don't look for that to happen.
    What was the joke?

Comment

I really hope that someday someone with enough balls or ignorant enough will rid this world of the disease known as Floyd Mayweather...

Watch, in a minute your going to get that Mayweather nut hugger from the other thread in here...just watch
      Originally posted by Sean88gt
      You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
      Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
      You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        What was the joke?
        Whitlock referred to Lin as "The couple inches of pain" via a Tweet. It was stereotypical but shouldn't be fired over it.
        Now Mayweather, that fool keeps showing that it doesn't take brains to be rich and famous.
        2015 Premium GT (50th Anniversary Package)
        2014 Lincoln MKT

Comment

Witlock's tweet was wrong but I thought it was also a little funny.

What Mayweather said though is completely wrong. What he has done in the last 4 games, no one has ever done. I dont think it would've mattered if he was white, black, asian, latino, or whatever. Mayweather needs to shut up and stop dodging Pacman before he talks crap.
          Los Angeles Rams 11-5
          Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
          Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

So why hasn't a black player been able to elevate the Knicks game?? Mayweather is a moron and a racist.

Comment

I'd rather just see racial/stereotype jokes be two way streets. Either it's offensive to everyone, or better yet - get over it or swing some punches if you really have a problem with it.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

fuck, black people are a billion times more racist then white people have been in 40-50 years. i wanna see those fuckers start getting fired and publicly humilated like white newscasters are whenever they slip up. i hate reading about shit like this, so fuckin' hypocritical. That fat stupid motherfucker should have been fired a long time ago, and are they doing anything? of course not, he's black. that'd be RACIST!
                http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Comment

I wonder what Floyd Mayweather has to say now about Jeremy Lin after tonight. 27 points, 11 assist. Hit the game winning 3pt shot. In the 4th Quarter he had 12 points, the Raptors as a team scored only 12 points in the 4th. I can't wait until sunday. Its one thing to see highlights of this kid, but I want to watch him in a game. Knicks play Dallas, Sunday on ABC
                  Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                  Up Next - vs. Atlanta

Comment

Originally posted by pHILSANITY07 View Post
                    I wonder what Floyd Mayweather has to say now about Jeremy Lin after tonight. 27 points, 11 assist. Hit the game winning 3pt shot. In the 4th Quarter he had 12 points, the Raptors as a team scored only 12 points in the 4th. I can't wait until sunday. Its one thing to see highlights of this kid, but I want to watch him in a game. Knicks play Dallas, Sunday on ABC
                    I can't wait either. I missed the Laker game and only saw the highlights but man he's been pretty impressive lately. Gotta love how humble this guy is to LOL! Sleeping on his brothers sofa or crashing out at a team mates place because he hadn't bought or rented out a place of his own yet. Man he must be on top of the world right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                      I can't wait either. I missed the Laker game and only saw the highlights but man he's been pretty impressive lately. Gotta love how humble this guy is to LOL! Sleeping on his brothers sofa or crashing out at a team mates place because he hadn't bought or rented out a place of his own yet. Man he must be on top of the world right now.
                      yea i missed the laker game too. I've heard now that he's got his own place now. I like how humble he is too. Harvard Grad, smart person that seems he has his head on right. I dont think this is a fluke or a lucky stretch. He is playing well. tonight he didnt start off well but continued to play hard and made it count at the end. That shot he made to win the game wasn't an easy shot by any means.
                      Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                      Up Next - vs. Atlanta

Comment

I am happy for the kid. I just hope when they play real teams that he keeps it up. The lakers aren't a real team this year, they look like garbage. Dallas will tear them apart, and I don't even think dallas is near as good as they were last year. We will see I guess.

Comment

even though he's my favorite boxer, he's completely wrong.

How many D-League players have stepped into the league randomly and lit the nba on fire game AFTER game AFTER game...?

Funny how the 2 star players aren't even playing and yet he carried the team to a 5-0 record and his lifted the rest of the team. D'Antoni has been considered to be on the hot seat to now the smartest coach cause of Lin.

I believe he's 6-0 now and Amare played for the first time since his brothers death. who took the game winning shot last night?

Originally posted by 03trubluGT
                          Your opinion is what sucks.
                          You are too stupied and arrogant

Comment

Mayweather is just jealous, he knows he is rich but that is it, he is racist, uneducated and ignorant, money cannot change that. On the other Hand Lin is soon to be very wealthy and is obviously a lot smarter (Harvard) than Mayweather.

Comment

Amare will fit perfect with Jeremy Lin kinda the same way Nash worked with Amare. Amare is a inside post up guy. He is a better option than that black hole that wears #7. Cause once you give Anthony the ball, the ball dosent leave unless its being shot.
                              Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                              Up Next - vs. Atlanta

Comment

Working...
                              X