The next generation of HD is coming - UHD 2160p / 4320p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next generation of HD is coming - UHD 2160p / 4320p

So, It's been a long time coming, and I had been waiting for this to happen and I saw my first 4320p TV at Best Buy last weekend. Honestly, I don't know what to make of it yet. I was talking with what I perceived was BB's resident tech geek. And eventually once I calmed him down on the pixel density and resolution we seemed to both agree it's useless. There is no standardization yet, and no movies being produced in that resolution. Basically all you can watch is demo bluray videos of what it will one day be able to do.

I was watching a soccer match they had on the demo reel and it was pretty impressive. However, this kind of resolution really only makes sense on a 60" or larger TV, it seems. For projectors I will be all over this for sure, but for TV's it seems like this will be one of the slowest transitions yet. I can't imagine it will be a standard in the next 10 years. OLED is still wayyy behind schedule as far as predictions go, and that seems like a much more valid milestone than resolution.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Also, I should mention the Xbox One apparently is suppose to support 4K (2160p).
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Projectors should come down to reasonable levels in 10 years.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VPL-VW1000ES-Home-Theater-Projector/dp/B0077R5KXG[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
        Projectors should come down to reasonable levels in 10 years.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VPL-VW100.../dp/B0077R5KXG
        See I knew the 8350 would be outdated! . Plus it's on sale right now for $1.99 off.
        Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

And, especially in the case of projectors, you need to make sure your receiver will pass 4K signal. I recently upgraded to a denon receiver and one of the things at the top of my list was 4K ready although I'm sure once it becomes mainstream and I have a 4K projector it will be time to upgrade the receiver again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I saw the new Sony 65" playing a preview of Will/Jaden Smith's new movie coming out next week, and it looks fucken bad ass... They make a 84 " that Id be all over if it has the same picture qual, but he said it was like 17 grand. fucken gaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

Comment

Originally posted by STROKD View Post
              I saw the new Sony 65" playing a preview of Will/Jaden Smith's new movie coming out next week, and it looks fucken bad ass... They make a 84 " that Id be all over if it has the same picture qual, but he said it was like 17 grand. fucken gaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...
              A 42" plasma cost $15k in the mid 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
                A 42" plasma cost $15k in the mid 90's.
                yea I know, its retarded.

Comment

Instead of typing out the actual differences and etc, I'll just post this video as this guy is the shit in the A/V world:

I think prices will come down fast, however the real problem will be native 4K content and the idea that it's going to be mostly distributed from the cloud, which I'm sure bandwidth providers are licking their chops from that extra revenue...

Comment

Originally posted by Grant View Post
                    Instead of typing out the actual differences and etc, I'll just post this video as this guy is the shit in the A/V world:

I think prices will come down fast, however the real problem will be native 4K content and the idea that it's going to be mostly distributed from the cloud, which I'm sure bandwidth providers are licking their chops from that extra revenue...
                    You mean shitting bricks? Most of the current broadband providers could barely support this kind of streaming on their existing networks.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      You mean shitting bricks? Most of the current broadband providers could barely support this kind of streaming on their existing networks.
                      Haha. Lots have changed in the years since 1080P became the norm. We are looking at TB pipes in the next few years at wholesale prices. It won't be the pipes that will be the problem, it's how to monetize them quickly enough to solidify that as the preferred option over physical media. Bandwidth is CHEAP these days and will continue that path as layered services (cloud) pickup value.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant View Post
                        Haha. Lots have changed in the years since 1080P became the norm. We are looking at TB pipes in the next few years at wholesale prices. It won't be the pipes that will be the problem, it's how to monetize them quickly enough to solidify that as the preferred option over physical media. Bandwidth is CHEAP these days and will continue that path as layered services (cloud) pickup value.
                        I'll believe the TB pipes when I see it. TWC just finished unrolling Docsis 3.0. What's possible and what is reality are two completely different things. I remember hearing the same thing a decade ago about 100mb/s home internet. Here we are a decade later and you're paying extra for 50mb/s down and 5mb/s up.

Comment

That's not because that's the only thing that is possible, technically speaking. There just wasn't a rush to sell something that couldn't be capitalized as much as business owners and shareholders wanted to see. The technology is already there or in progress and the infrastructure is largely there too, with the exception of older copper (largely AT&T), but even then there are very creative ways to milk extra bandwidth out of copper, via bonding so forth.

It will come very quickly. 100GB wavelengths are about 10 fold what they were just two years ago.

Comment

And it's not just necessarily throughput, it's all the ability to provide the content server side. Netflix is just now barely able to keep content at 1080p. They stated in two years they expect to offer a "few" movies/shows in 4k. A few. In two years from now. Everything I've seen makes me think 4k/8k won't be a standard for another decade.

Comment

The content I agree with. It will depend on the providers ability to create value over what exists and I think that's where the network delivery will prevail over the physical media. I think when you take out the manufacturing time of physical media and costs associated with that and instead rely on the fluidity of pipe-provided content, which is a lot faster type of transaction to deliver.

Comment

Working...
                              X