Stars aligned, whatever you want to call it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stars aligned, whatever you want to call it

My dad owned and daily drove his '69 Chevy short step side pickup for 10 years back and forth from Denison to Frisco every day over 15 years ago. It had a built 355, turbo 400, 3.08 gears, a/c, was lowered and was about 4 different colors. It didn't look like much but it caught a lot of people unsuspecting. He sold the truck to a family friend's son who was 17 at the time, and is 32 now.

For some reason here lately I have been having a hell of a hankering for an old Chevy pickup to drive daily. Maybe I was reminiscing about my old '66 Chevy short wide that I sold a couple years ago before buying the Nomad. I thought it was funny that Denny posted the "older daily drivers" thread and I had been looking for an old pickup to daily drive.

I was initially looking at '73-79 Chevy C10 pickups, then began opening my search up to include the '63-72 body styles as well.

I found a nice looking '79 C10 that was LS swapped, already had nice aftermarket gauges, was lowered with nice wheels, and Vintage Air. The guy traded it off before I could make a deal on it.

I then ran across a '65 Chevy Custom Cab, big back window, short wide that was already LS swapped, etc., but after driving from Sherman to Alvarado to look at it and only taking 3 minutes to look at and realize that the truck was wayyyyyyy rougher than I wanted, I was a bit discouraged.

Then I got to thinking about my dad's old truck and how we had A LOT of good memories in that thing. I knew that the kid my dad sold it to still owned it, and although he had made some upgrades to the truck over the years, he hadn't done anything with the truck in the most recent years, so I was ecstatic when I called and he said that he would be interested in selling it.

I had been so damn anxious to go see the truck since talking to him last Sunday, that I left work 30 minutes early this afternoon, scooped up my dad and we went to see what kind of shape it was in. It was pretty much exactly how I expected it to be and we made a deal on it.

Dammit, I can't wait to go pick it up and get to work on it.

SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!! Congratulations.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Way to go Aaron! Nothing like bringing an old familiar one back home!
      70' Chevelle RagTop
      (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Nice!
        Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

That is absolutely fantastic! Pics as soon as you can.

Comment

Sweetness! Did you happen to snap any spy photos before the official release?

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
              SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!! Congratulations.
              Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
              Way to go Aaron! Nothing like bringing an old familiar one back home!
              Man, I was prepared to pay more than the truck was worth, and I probably paid more for what it was worth in the shape that it's currently in, but I told my dad as soon as we pulled up and I saw it sitting there, I was buying it regardless of how rough it was unless he wanted a million dollars.

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
              Nice!
              Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
              That is absolutely fantastic! Pics as soon as you can.
              Originally posted by Denny View Post
              Sweetness! Did you happen to snap any spy photos before the official release?
              Thanks guys, I'm very happy to be able to get the truck back and be able to make memories with my wife and daughter in it.

I was so caught up in the moment and on a high after making the deal, that I didn't even think about pictures until we were already driving down the road and talking about the plans for the truck.

My dad is pretty excited about getting it back too, and we laughed about how I used to sneak the keys off of his night stand and roll it down and out of the driveway and down the street before starting it up so I wouldn't wake him up. He told me, "hey, now I can sneak the truck out and go burn the rubber off the tires!" I told him he didn't even have to sneak it out and he can drive it any time he wants. Lol

Comment

That's awesome!

Comment

I love, love, love this. So happy for you and Doyn!

Comment

very cool to get one back, especially after that long

There are a few I'd love to have back, but most of them are too far gone from how I had them set up anyhow

good deal man
                    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                      That's awesome!
                      I think so too!

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                      I love, love, love this. So happy for you and Doyn!
                      Same here. The fact that my dad is excited about getting the truck back makes me pretty happy too.

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                      very cool to get one back, especially after that long

There are a few I'd love to have back, but most of them are too far gone from how I had them set up anyhow

good deal man
                      The whole deal just really couldn't have worked out any better to my advantage. When he had the truck painted about 6 years ago, the guy fucked up the paint job, so he hasn't driven it hardly any in the last 6 years because he was disgusted with it. He had the cab and front clip primed grey, but the bed is still the same charcoal grey that it was painted.

He said he just had the transmission rebuilt and it literally has less than 5 miles on it.

When I was telling him that I was planning on LS swapping it and driving it a lot, he was actually getting excited because he hated to see it just sitting and he is glad that it will be back on the road and he knows I'm not going to sell it.

Comment

Badass!!! That's something that you rarely ever hear of happening....

Glad you are getting to bring it back home!

Comment

Very cool... both for you & your pop.

Comment

That's really cool, Aaron. Can't beat a good old truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                              Badass!!! That's something that you rarely ever hear of happening....

Glad you are getting to bring it back home!
                              Yeah, I really probably should be concentrating on the wagon but being able to buy this truck back and bring back a lot of old, good memories will last a lifetime.

Originally posted by fitzwell View Post
                              Very cool... both for you & your pop.
                              Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                              That's really cool, Aaron. Can't beat a good old truck.
                              I've got so many good stories about this truck that I can't help but smile at just the thought of getting it back and being able to include my little girl in those memories.

Comment

Working...
                              X