Interesting situation yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting situation yesterday

So I stopped by the DFW National Cemetery to visit my dads grave yesterday and minutes after getting there I hear a truck pulling up behind me. This isn't altogether unusual since he's buried near the street and near the beginning of that section so I'm used to it. But what was different was hearing someone coming up behind me so I turned around and it was an older Mexican guy, maybe 10-15 years older than me, dressed in slacks and a button up shirt.

He started talking to me in Spanish (and for those of you who know me I don't habla) and the first thing I noticed is he had a medium size towel covering his left hand. Alarms are going off in my head and I stepped back and looked around to make sure he was by himself which he was. He continued talking to me for another minute before I stopped him and told him I don't speak Spanish, the whole time I'm looking at his left hand.

So he starts to give me a sob story that he lost his job that day and his wife doesn't know yet and I'm still looking at his left hand. I start to rotate a little bit so my left side is facing him so I can use my left arm to block or grab him but still keep my right side and arm free so I can reach my gun. He started asking asking me who I was visiting and I told him it was my dad. He goes on to tell me that his son served in Afghanistan and when he came back he was never right in his head. At first I thought his son was buried there but than he said something else to lead me to believe he was still alive. The guys story wasn't panning out in my head and all this time I'm still looking at his left hand covered by a towel.

So finally he came back to his story about losing his job and I'm ready to get him out of there. I reach into my left pocket and pull out a ten I had in there and handed it to him. He looked at it and that's when he put the towel in his pocket and shook my hand and thanked me. He said a few kind words about my dad and his military service and left.

As I watched him drive off I wasn't sure what just happened. For one I was worried that I got to fixated on him and that someone could have snuck around behind me. Second, I don't know what the deal was with the towel wrapped around his hand. Was he going to try and rob me by saying he had a gun underneath the towel? I don't know if I should have acted more aggressive with my posture or stayed calm the way I did. I almost thought about putting my hand on my gun but still keeping it covered by my shirt and holstered.

I'm a little concerned though about what happened as my mom goes to the cemetery a couple of times a week as we live nearby. I'll definitely keep an eye out for him and his white truck. What do you guys think about it? Am I being a little paranoid or do you think something might have been up besides simply asking for money?
    Last edited by Jose; 05-29-2014, 06:46 PM.

That's pretty damn scary. What was his demeanor? Was he panning with his eyes, looking around at all?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

if you're not a little paranoid in this day and age, you're a fool...

keep an eye out, put mom on alert... maybe try to go with her to visit for a while if you can swing it?

staying calm and alert is always the best bet IMO... your gut feeling told you not to be aggressive, and it worked out just fine
      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

meanwhile, I would have straight up said, "what's up with the towel man? you're freaking me out" with my hand on my pistol

Comment

I've done the hand on gun thing a few times. If someone is approaching me I'll do that and tell them to stop. If they don't stop you know what's next.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

my hand goes to the pistol multiple times a day!

call me paranoid if you want, I'll be alive to hear it

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
              I almost thought about putting my hand on my gun but still keeping it covered by my shirt and holstered.
              I asked a very similar question a while back and was ridiculed into the ground over it.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                I asked a very similar question a while back and was ridiculed into the ground over it.
                Was this the lady at WalMart thread?
                2012 GT500

Comment

Don't remember exactly but I posed just about the same situation of if you are starting to feel threatened would it be ok to adjust your posture and have hand ready.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                    follow your gut instinct, not a bunch of internets

Comment

I'm had that happen to me in the parking lot but the dude had a magazine. Now that I've started carrying the last few months it puts my mind at ease a little bit.
                      But I still always look around me in the parking lot I always scanned to the side and behind me like every 10 seconds. I don't think because I'm paranoid I'm just being realistic about how the world is today.

But that was pretty damn weird.
                      sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                      🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Could have been a hitchhikers guide to the galaxy fan.

Comment

Maybe he's found people who are in a more vulnerable mental state may be more likely to be generous at that point in time.

Very odd to be concealing his hand, I can't think of a good reason to have a towel draped over your hand while walking up to somebody.
                          WRX

Comment

Odd. Good thing for you that you are very aware of your surroundings. He probably didn't expect someone like that. Who knows what was under that towel. Glad you didn't have to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                              For one I was worried that I got to fixated on him that someone could have snuck around behind me.
                              tunnel vision is a bitch and its not easy to train for every situation, especially one that catches you at a weak moment. Which is probably what he was preying on.

Ask your mom if he has approached her, maybe to sell flowers, candles, statuary, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X