Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New F-Series Trucks (150 & 250) -What's your experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New F-Series Trucks (150 & 250) -What's your experience?

I haven't posted much about it, but I recently decided to step up on a new Super Duty. I'll save all the details why, but decided I would give up both the Mustang and the dually for something that could serve both purposes and still be nice to look at and comfortable on the road...I landed on a 12' F250 with the new 6.7 diesel. It was a certified pre-owned over at GVF and they made a pretty good deal on it....had just over 36K on it when I drove off the lot.

However, here in-lies the problem....after only 2-weeks, I am simply unhappy with it, and I'm finding that I've been trying to make myself like it. It's a beautiful truck...King Ranch, crew cab, SWB, 4x4, pretty decently loaded, etc. But the thing has some problems...terrible interior noise, mostly squeaks and rattles all over the drivers side, and bad wind noise from the windshield....the mirror tab is broken, which makes me think it must've had a replacement windshield at some point. Something is just off with both back doors too, b/c aside from noise neither shut right. It shakes at hwy speeds, significant starting around 65 and only gets worse the faster you go. the truck does have some over-sized M/T tires on it, though, and to make that worse they are shitty Goodyears....so a likely culprit. However the most concerning is that the trans doesn't shift right at times...seems to hunt for gear, and sometimes shifts very hard...like slamming hard. Another big issue is that the MPG is just awful! I knew what I was buying and didn't expect it to be great, but I had heard many claims of 16-18 out of these trucks....some even claiming over 20. I have yet to see even 15. It used an entire tank going to Canton and back last weekend (2-hours each way)...and hand calc'd 14.4, all hwy (dash said 14.6). I've filled this thing up 4-times in 13-days, and really been trying to be easy on it these last couple tanks...keeping it out of boost, not going over 70mph, etc.

The good news is that BigPurd gave me a name to contact over at GVF, I spoke to him yesterday and he was immediately agreeable that they will work with me to make it right...if that means trying to address the issues with this truck, or simply trading me back out of it into something else.

The more I think about it, I'm leaning towards just wanting another truck...I get pissed-off everytime I drive this one, and I'm worried this is just a sign of more issues to come. I'm actually thinking about just getting into a new F150 instead, though. For what I do, I don't necessarily need a diesel...I never tow more than about 8K, and probably more often around 5K-6K honestly....and not that often anymore either. So I need something that can tow when I need it, but more-so to be comfortable and get decent mileage out on the road.

So with ALL that said (sorry for the long post)....what are you guys experiences with the new Super Duty trucks (was I just expecting too much?), and what about the 150's....I'm thinking just a 5.0 if I do it, but not entirely opposed to an Eco...I've just heard a lot about those being more hype than what they really deliver....although I've never even been in one. I'd be saving some cash going into a 150 as well.
    70' Chevelle RagTop
    (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Oh no, the dreaded king ranch squeak!

Sucks that you dont like it, though.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I've got an '11 F150 with the (first year) ecoboost and I love the truck. It's a supercrew Platinum with the 6.5' bed and the max-tow package (had to special order the truck). I tow a 21' Skeeter regularly and it handles it with ease. It's rated to tow 11,200 pounds though I would never pull that much with it.

Regarding the EB, it's a strong motor and will move this truck surprisingly well. Gas mileage is nowhere near the sticker, but none of the trucks really get very close to the sticker. If I were buying a new F150, I would buy another EB.

Comment

If your only towing 5-6k a super duty is overkill. A f150 with either the ecoboost or 5.0 are excellent options.

Comment

I used to regularly tow more around 15K....but not anymore. The enclosed that I tow now is just a 20' car hauler. My open trailer is a 15K hauler, but I probably never put more than ~5K on it.

I definitely don't even need my dually anymore, but have kept it around simply b/c it's a good truck and it's paid for...but it's way overkill for what I do now-a-days..
          70' Chevelle RagTop

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

I have just over 8k in my '13ecoboost 4x4 quad cab, just got back from dropping my folks off in Roanoke (hr each way) and ran 18.2mpg on the trip. I have only one minor complaint about my truck which is that the drivers window moans a tiny bit when going down. I'll take it in for warranty and get it fixed, but beyond that i love this truck, head and shoulders above my 06 fx4. my non-max-tow is rated to tow 9900lbs, which is ample for what we do. I have a 16' enclosed that i pull

Comment

That's good to hear. I tend to think that the fit & finish on the F150 is a bit better than the SD.

I bought a 2010 Lariat brand new back in 09', and that's actually what has me thinking about one of these again. That truck was one of the nicer and more comfortable vehicles I've owned (car or truck)...it rode really well, was comfortable, and one thing I clearly remember was how quiet and rattle/squeak free it was out on the road. Only reason I eventually unloaded it was b/c the gas mileage was shit with the 5.4...if not for that I would likely have kept it much longer.
              70' Chevelle RagTop

Comment

I have almost the same truck as lo3oz. '13 Ecoboost Fx4 Supercrew. I love the truck, and would buy another tomorrow if something happened to this one. That being said, I can't keep my foot out of the boost and really don't get much better then you do in your SD it sounds like. Luckily I didn't really buy it for mileage, I actually went in to get the 5.0 but liked the feel of the EB much better. The thing tows great, I took my camping trailer to Wyoming for some remote camping and everyone who drove commented on how well it pulled. Pulled several cattle trailers as well with no sweat. If I baby it (as in cruise control on 55mph, wind at my back, level ground) I can get sticker on the highway, but I usually run 14-15 average on a tank. I had an identical '06 and it never went to the shop after I pulled it off the lot, hoping this one gives me the same luck. 6500 miles and no issues so far (I wouldn't expect any).
                DamonH

Comment

What gears do you guys have in your EB trucks? Damon - I'm wondering if perhaps you have shorter gears that hurt the mileage a little?...like 3.55's? I don't think these trucks come with 3.73's, no? Most that I've looked at online seem to have 3.31's with the EB engine.

MPG being about the same as the SD still wouldn't be nearly as bad considering the fuel is $.40-$.50 less per gallon.
                  70' Chevelle RagTop

Comment

I have had my 13' Ecoboost FX2 for 10k miles and love it as well. No real issues, very quiet and comfortable. The sync system did freeze one time, but cycling the ignition fixed it. I think I would get better MPG with the 5.0, just because it is so easy to get into the boost with the 3.5 where it starts to drink the fuel, but the six is really smooth.

I average ~17.5mpg, but I'm always running 70+mph and drive with a heavy foot around town. Driving it conservatively you can definitely get the rated MPGs if not better, but you have to stay out of the boost and around 60mph max ...

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
                      What gears do you guys have in your EB trucks? Damon - I'm wondering if perhaps you have shorter gears that hurt the mileage a little?...like 3.55's? I don't think these trucks come with 3.73's, no? Most that I've looked at online seem to have 3.31's with the EB engine.
                      Mine has the 3.55 rear axle with electronic locker. I'm sure that, plus 4x4, plus 20's, plus I usually keep the 36 gallon tank mostly full doesn't help things. I also do 90% city driving. The only highway driving I do is about 3-5 miles usually, so I really don't spend enough time in 6th to recoup my "spirited entrance" to the freeway. heh
                      DamonH

Comment

If it has that much shit wrong with it at 36k, you need to get away from it.

Comment

13 5.0 FX2 here. Around 12k miles and no issues at all. Normal mpg average 50/50 hwy/city is 16-17. Just took a trip to Kileen last week, 3 hours each way and hitting construction traffic on the return trip. MPG was 20.2 for the round trip running 60-80mph each way. Coming back from San Antonio this summer I managed 23mpg and regularly get 20+ straight highway...Mine has 3.31 gears. I'm extremely happy with my tuck and glad I got the 5.0 over the EB.
                          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                            If it has that much shit wrong with it at 36k, you need to get away from it.
                            Agreed...I just want in a different truck now.
                            70' Chevelle RagTop

Comment

I know they have a fuckton more room in the backseat than Chevys. Its like sitting in the front seat with the seat pushed way back. My Chevy is a 3/4 ton crew cab and with the limited space back there you would think you were in a 1/2 ton extended cab with the suicide doors.

Comment

Working...
                              X