Republican Anti-Voting tactic. SMH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Republican Anti-Voting tactic. SMH

You gotta love these guys for their persistence. NC Republicans now rule the state with a Repub governorship and a majority in their Congress.

What do they do with all this power? Make sure they keep it. How do they do it? Aside from new photo ID requirements for voting and plans to reduce early voting, their newest trick is designed to hinder college kids from voting.

A new bill which is sure to pass, will penalize the parents of college students who register on campus by disallowing these parents the right to claim their college students as dependents on their tax returns.

This, despite the fact that in every other sense the parents are deemed financially responsible until their students are 25.

Republican ploy to restrict voting options or a ploy to get parents to pay more in state taxes?

A bill filed in the N.C. Senate Tuesday has some UNC students concerned about their ability to vote in future elections.

NC bill restricts student voters
    By Jenny Drabble | The Daily Tar Heel

A bill filed in the N.C. Senate Tuesday has some UNC students concerned about their ability to vote in future elections.

Senate Bill 667, also known as “Equalize Voter Rights,” would force voting students to travel home or vote absentee — or see their parents face higher taxes.

The bill prevents parents from claiming college students as dependents in the state income tax if their child is registered to vote at his or her college address.

Critics of the bill, sponsored by six Republican senators, say it is a move to suppress college voters.
    Bree Pierre, a sophomore at UNC who voted on campus in the November election, said she thinks the bill would just present another obstacle for students to vote.“Whenever there’s more regulation, voters in general are less motivated to vote,” she said. “It’s very discouraging, and they’re doing it on purpose, I believe, to counteract the strong college vote.”

But Greg Steele, chairman of the N.C. Federation of College Republicans, said he doesn’t think the bill will deter students from voting. “There’s nothing in the bill that says you can’t vote absentee,” Steele said. “It’s important to vote where you’re paying taxes and where you are invested in the community.”
    Steele said he thinks the bill could redistribute votes, but won’t affect results in statewide or national elections. He said the bill would also help students invest in their home communities.
    “This bill incentivizes people to become a part of their home community and have their voices represented in the place where their tax dollars are coming from,” Steele said. “I look at it as a great opportunity.”

Chapel Hill Town Council member Lee Storrow disagreed, arguing that the new rules would impose unnecessary voting barriers on students. “The specifics of the bill would be that we would increase taxes on the middle class if parents were no longer able to claim students as dependents,” he said.
    He said he thinks the bill would reduce the amount of students voting in general. “We have already seen recent efforts to restrict early voting,” he said. “This is just part of a systematic strategy to restrict North Carolina voters from going to the polls, targeting people who tend to vote Democratic.”

Tracy Reams, director of the Orange County Board of Elections, said 12,806 people between the ages of 18 and 24 voted in the November 2012 election — making up nearly 17 percent of the county’s total voters. “The bill won’t affect their ability to vote, but the ability of the parent to claim them on their taxes,” Reams said. “It’s up to students whether they register at home or vote here in Orange County.”

The bill would also require that a voter’s vehicle registration address and voter registration address be the same within 60 days of the bill taking effect.

If passed, the bill would go into effect Jan. 1, 2014.
    THE BAD HOMBRE

Looks more like a way to cut down on people voting more than once.

Admittedly, I need to look into the taxation part a little more. I can't get behind that, unless it is proven that the student is not depending on the parents to pay for everything.

Comment

Students can still vote absentee in their home districts if they are passionate enough about voting. If they are not willing to put forth the mediocre effort required to so, no biggie.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
        Students can still vote absentee in their home districts if they are passionate enough about voting. If they are not willing to put forth the mediocre effort required to so, no biggie.
        have you ever voted absentee before? it's hardly "mediocre" (if thats the word you meant to use there, lol). Voting absentee is a real pain in the ass.
        THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

I never understood the argument that Voter ID would hurt Democrats. Unless they know they have illegals and "zombies" voting.

I think voter fraud should be punishable by death.

Comment

Because the Democrats have never gerrymandered...EVER!

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
              have you ever voted absentee before? it's hardly "mediocre" (if thats the word you meant to use there, lol). Voting absentee is a real pain in the ass.
              Yes I have, and no it is not a real pain in the ass. Any student worthy of admittance to UNC should not find it overly strenuous or intellectually challenging to do so, i.e. it requires a mediocre level of effort. Though like anything else worth doing, it's worth doing right instead of looking for a half-assed shortcut to get around it.

Comment

since you keep using the wrong word let me help you out.

me·di·o·cre
                /ˌmēdēˈōkər/
                Adjective
                Of only moderate quality; not very good: "a mediocre actor".
                Synonyms
                middling - moderate - indifferent - ordinary - mean

I believe MINIMAL is the word you are looking for. I could be wrong.
                THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

since you keep using the wrong word let me help you out.

me·di·o·cre
                  /ˌmēdēˈōkər/
                  Adjective
                  Of only moderate quality; not very good: "a mediocre actor".
                  Synonyms
                  middling - moderate - indifferent - ordinary - mean

I believe MINIMAL is the word you are looking for. I could be wrong.
                  Moderate, as per your quote above, so mediocre works just fine. Do you need more schooling on this matter, just like you received yesterday, regarding definitions?

Comment

quality is the operative word if you want to use moderate. If you just mean moderate, then just say moderate. Using big words incorrectly is no way to gain merit.
                    THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

quality is the operative word if you want to use moderate. If you just mean moderate, then just say moderate. Using big words incorrectly is no way to gain merit.
                      That could have implications as far as voting preference, and it is assumed by the context of his post that he was meaning effort taken to place a vote, and not the voter's preferences.

noun
                      6. a person who is moderate in opinion or opposed to extreme views and actions, especially in politics or religion.
                      7. ( usually initial capital letter ) a member of a political party advocating moderate reform.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

so he meant a minimal effort, not a moderate quality effort.
                        THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

They gotta do something to combat the Democrat voters' tactics.

Melowese Richardson, pictured, claims she voted twice for Obama in last November's election but there are no claims she may have voted six times. The Cincinnati resident said she 'wanted my vote to count' but denies casting more than two ballots.
                          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

The quality of their voting ethics would be quite moderate if they were put off by absentee voting. Whereas a person who felt a dutiful need to uphold their rights of voting would go the extra mile.

Comment

No nunu, I meant a mediocre effort. You can not articulate what you mean, much less what anybody else meant. However since you're getting lost yet again, the absentee voting process in NC is simple, and even you might only require mediocre effort to vote absentee there. Certainly it is not a process above the abilities presumably possessed by a typical UNC student.

Translation: no biggie

Comment

Working...
                              X