HOA question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOA question

I was reading about an Army Captain returning from Afghanistan and building his kids a swing set to celebrate and the HOA told him to tear it down and are taking him to court. Here's a few questions:

1. Can you disband a HOA?

2. Can you take the HOA to court and sever your property from them?
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

1. I don't think so.

2. No.

Comment

Generally, you sign on as a subject to the hoa when you purchase the rights to occupy property in their jurisdiction. The only way I know out is to get the rules Changed or sell that burden to the next fool. No good can come from an hoa.
      Rich

Comment

It doesn't matter who you are. You signed up to live in that area...abide by the rules. He will lose his ass if he tries. And tell him if he thinks his hoa is bad to check out my neighborhood for a few weeks...lol

Comment

You can get the neighborhood as a whole to buy off on it.

My GPs got bitched at for having the wrong color mulch.
          Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

The best way to deal with the HOA is to get elected to the board. As a board member you have a lot of say so for the direction your HOA takes. I highly recommend this and served on my HOA board for several years. Getting elected is usually just a matter of signing your name on the ballot at the next annual election. Very few volunteer for this responsibility but you can definitely make a positive change for your community by doing so.

Comment

I was curious about if there was something that could be done. I know they can foreclose on your house and, in one instance, boot out your tenants and lease your property to someone else
              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Rules for dealing with HOA's:

1. Never fucking buy a home in an HOA.
                2. Live in freedom and peace.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

our hoa got voted to be voluntary! aka powerless. neighborhood is still incredibly nice, no bullshit rules to follow. win win.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                    Rules for dealing with HOA's:

1. Never fucking buy a home in an HOA.
                    2. Live in freedom and peace.
                    This.

I live in a community of retirees where everyone takes care of their property, quiet and they mind their own business. Somehow everyone still keeps their own stuff nice without any cattle-prodding from a gestapo HOA.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooter View Post
                      This.

I live in a community of retirees where everyone takes care of their property, quiet and they mind their own business. Somehow everyone still keeps their own stuff nice without any cattle-prodding from a gestapo HOA.
                      ESPECIALLY if you're a car guy. You have no freedom to do anything.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Anyone who belongs to an HOA is borderline retarded or doesn't value freedom. I never understood why someone would buy property and then agree in writing they can't do what they want with the property they own. If you are dumb enough to buy HOA property then you deserve whatever you get and I do not feel sorry for you.
                        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                          Anyone who belongs to an HOA is borderline retarded or doesn't value freedom. I never understood why someone would buy property and then agree in writing they can't do what they want with the property they own. If you are dumb enough to buy HOA property then you deserve whatever you get and I do not feel sorry for you.
                          You have obviously never seen some of this states finest white trash. I am very happy to have an hoa that keeps the neighborhood nice, maintains the pools, multiple parks and ball fields, and keeps the trash out. Now if you want to park your shitty boat, RV, and build a barn in the backyard with your cars parked in the front yard...go without the controls.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                            LOL. Or.....

Maybe they'd like to protect their property values from the mouth-breathing neckbeards next door. I live (and have always lived) in an HOA neighborhood for this very reason. I've built several turbo mustangs and it's never been an issue. I simply read the covenants BEFORE I buy the house. If they seem unreasonable, I buy a home elsewhere.
                            - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
                            1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                              You have obviously never seen some of this states finest white trash. I am very happy to have an hoa that keeps the neighborhood nice, maintains the pools, multiple parks and ball fields, and keeps the trash out. Now if you want to park your shitty boat, RV, and build a barn in the backyard with your cars parked in the front yard...go without the controls.
                              Is that what they do? Huh, mine sure as fuck doesn't. In fact, mine has 0 perks at all. No pool, no park, no ball field, no nothin. Bout the only thing that they do is keep manufactured homes and businesses out.

Comment

Working...
                              X