Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My week with a Beretta 390

Hey peep's,

This is kind of a mixed review, rant, lesson & vendor dealing I had this past week and thought I'd share.

This past week my wife deemed that for Christmas I could get my hands on a new autoloading shotgun for my upcoming dove hunt in south Texas. I will be going out two days after Christmas for four days with a friend of mine and his father and thought that it would best to replace my pump action Model 88 Mossberg that I've outfitted for home defense. I have hunted with this gun before, and have been to the skeet range with it a half a dozen times. It eats my cheek and eventually wears out my jaw after half a case... it's a cheap gun, it has served me well, but I thought it was time to actually move up to an actual field gun.

After careful consideration, traveling around town to all the pawn shops and outdoor suppliers while also reading up on the best autoloaders I settled for a Beretta 390 at Gander Mountain. This gun comes with some prestige and very little negative reviews. I actually had to choose from a Franchi I-12 and the Beretta, but after further digging decided the Beretta would eat lighter loads if I ever decided to feed them. I actually liked the pull of the Franchi, the action and the price more than the Beretta, but decided that Beretta had the better reputation in the long run. I didn't pay list though, the gun had been on the shelf just long enough to reach clearance status.

Got the gun new off the shelf and took it to the range the next day. After loading up, setting up the automated trap system, and sending out my first set of clays, the 390 would just not cycle the rounds. I ended up spending thirty minutes on my phone, gun in arm broken down trying to figure out what the heck was wrong. I decided that it was time to head home and really dig in to the issue. From what I could tell at the time, I was missing parts. Mainly the washer that controls gas flow at the end of the piston housing.

I get to Gander that night and am told the gun guys are out and to come back in the next morning.

Initiate rage level one.

I venture in at opening the next day and after two hours of standing at the counter we found the issue. Someone who stocked the gun in the show rack had assembled the gun incorrectly. When I say "incorrectly", I mean bat shit backwards. Coming from an engineering degree, I understand that not all diagrams and literature shipped with product are correct... So I assumed some minor configurations may have been different on my model versus the one the book is written for. Once we broke down the exact same model in camo, I began to understand the real issue. Someone had put the exhaust blow off valve inside the piston opposed to outside of it. Not a mistake to be made by anyone who has any understanding of how these firearms work. The gas was being directed to the wrong side of the piston -and to top it off, once they bolted it all together the washer which is slightly larger in diameter than the inside of the piston was jammed inside. 30 minutes of hammering on the brand new firearm finally proved our suspicions correct.

The bottom shows a free moving piston, and the upper spring with the correct washer configuration. The upper barrel (mine) shows the jammed piston with the washer stuck inside.

Once free, we found the washer.

Initiate rage level two.

With a new piston and washer (Gander RMA'ed my crap parts in the camo gun so I could keep mine), I went right out to the range to get acquainted with my new gun. Happy as I could be I shot a round of clays no issue and began working on my next set, when problem two set in. *CLICK* *CLICK*.... Rounds chambered but were developing a dent on the rear end of the rim of the shell, the extractor was beating the shells and not locking into place. Upon further inspection my extractor had not broken but was locked in the closed position because the extractor plunger had broke free and was now extruding into the receiver.

I really wasn't all that mad leaving the range... it wasn't until I entered Gander's facility when it all set in.

Initiate rage level three.

The guy's behind the counter really sympathized. They were sick of this gun nearly as much as I was.

Which is now why I am the owner of an Winchester SX3 for the price of a clearance model Beretta 390.

They made it right, and had me on my way. I can't say enough about the guys working at Gander, I mean they really dug into the issue and got the understanding required to repair and keep me happy.

As for me, I am no longer a fan of the Beretta's. I don't know if my first issue was related to the second issue, but something about the 390 just left a terrible taste in my mouth. I sure am glad though that I do not have to depend on that firearm to perform anymore... nothing is worse than sporting with equipment you don't trust.
    Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
    Baja-Bob.com

yeah, that's a fuckin' headache right there...

glad they got you sorted out, but it's always a drag when you get something you're excited about and it ends up being a drag
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

You'll be happy SX3's are really nice.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Which Gander? The one in Sherman? That's enough for me to use them.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I had a Beretta 390 for a few weeks and had cycle problems with trap shells and got rid of it. I haven't had any issues with my 1187 Premier and I've been really happy with it.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I wonder how that compares to the A391 Urika 2, I've been eyeballing one for a few months now. I've read nothing but good things about both but that sucks to hear about your experience with it.
            Originally posted by Jester
            Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
            He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
            Originally posted by Denny
            What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
            FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
              Which Gander? The one in Sherman? That's enough for me to use them.
              In college station...

But I this is the second location I've been to that really blew my skirt up.
              Baja-Bob.com

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                I had a Beretta 390 for a few weeks and had cycle problems with trap shells and got rid of it. I haven't had any issues with my 1187 Premier and I've been really happy with it.
                1187's are really nice. Remington makes a great gun. I guess most people don't post up in the shotgun world with problems... I have just not seen a whole lot negative about it. Maybe Beretta is loosing quality? I've heard their customer service is terrible.
                Baja-Bob.com

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  I wonder how that compares to the A391 Urika 2, I've been eyeballing one for a few months now. I've read nothing but good things about both but that sucks to hear about your experience with it.
                  I've read that some people prefer the 390 over the 391, but I have also read people prefer the 391 over the 390. I guess it really comes down to how much you like the swing and shoulder.

Then again mine was assembled wrong from the get go too. So don't let that leave too much of a bad taste in your mouth. When problem one surfaced Gander was going to swap me with another 390, but all they had in stock was a 390 in camo.
                  Baja-Bob.com

Comment

Originally posted by BajaBob View Post
                    I've read that some people prefer the 390 over the 391, but I have also read people prefer the 391 over the 390. I guess it really comes down to how much you like the swing and shoulder.

Then again mine was assembled wrong from the get go too. So don't let that leave too much of a bad taste in your mouth. When problem one surfaced Gander was going to swap me with another 390, but all they had in stock was a 390 in camo.
                    I've been looking at the 391 Urika 2, Remington Xtrema2, and the Winchester SX3. I'm sure any one of those will make a great hunting/sporting shotgun, it's just going to come down to price for the most part, but I've had my eye on those because my gf loves to shoot skeet and they seem to be the best with recoil reduction.
                    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

I've been looking at the 391 Urika 2, Remington Xtrema2, and the Winchester SX3. I'm sure any one of those will make a great hunting/sporting shotgun, it's just going to come down to price for the most part, but I've had my eye on those because my gf loves to shoot skeet and they seem to be the best with recoil reduction.
                      Limbsaver's are awesome for chicks, the one you strap on to your shoulder... I actually see quite a lot of guys using them too. The 390 came with a hard plastic shoulder pad, and kicked just as much as my pump. I would have upgraded that if I held onto it.

My wife uses a limbsaver, without it she wouldn't be able to shoot. We'll see if the SX3 kicks any less, I doubt it'll be much though. It did come with a really nice pad but after shooting skeet already this week the bruise on my arm isn't going to care if it's a .22... its going to feel the recoil.
                      Baja-Bob.com

Comment

Again, you also have to consider what time of the year you'll be shooting... I WAS planning on it being a bit colder this week, so I could wear a heavy jacket and learn the gun wearing what i'd be wearing in the field... but no such luck. Still wearing t-shirt and shorts in mid december...
                        Baja-Bob.com

Comment

Limbsaver's are awesome for chicks, the one you strap on to your shoulder... I actually see quite a lot of guys using them too. The 390 came with a hard plastic shoulder pad, and kicked just as much as my pump. I would have upgraded that if I held onto it.

My wife uses a limbsaver, without it she wouldn't be able to shoot. We'll see if the SX3 kicks any less, I doubt it'll be much though. It did come with a really nice pad but after shooting skeet already this week the bruise on my arm isn't going to care if it's a .22... its going to feel the recoil.
                          Let me know how you like the SX3. I'll also look into the Limbsaver for the gf.

Comment

Let me know how you like the SX3. I'll also look into the Limbsaver for the gf.
                            What I also like about the SX3 is that it comes with a wide variety of shims for adjusting the fit of the gun... you can raise and lower the barrel depending on preference and make it longer or shorter. Throughout the day yesterday I would randomly pick up the gun and see where my sights were lying and typically I found them to be too high, so I think I will be lowering the barrel just a tad.
                            Baja-Bob.com

Comment

Recoil pads are for women! If you're dove hunting a pump shotgun they make sense, but with a semi auto they kick substantially less. I use the factory pad on my 1187 and I've fired 500 shells in a 6 hour period and never had any real soreness.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                              X