Indy Motor Speedway visit - another Strychnine photo essay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy Motor Speedway visit - another Strychnine photo essay

Yet another installment in the Strychnine chronicles.

Maybe I should save some of my threads from the other site before they are gone forever?

Anyway, I landed in Indy yesterday evening. Met up w/ some people, had some beers, and then got an early start on the day this morning.
    If you’re ever in Indy, and you’re a racing fan, you HAVE to make it to the speedway. To not do so is downright blasphemous.

Oh, and as icing on the cake, I secured my suite spots for the 100th running of the Indy 500 in May :biggrin: :cool:

Anyway, on to the pics. As you can tell, and if you remember from another thread of mine at the old place, I’m huge on the Watson, Kurtis-Kraft, Offy, Meyer-Drake era of Indy history, so forgive me If my pics are a bit heavy in the 1950-1965 era:

This ‘vette is magnesium bodied.

Here you have the first turbine powered car to run at Indy (left) and the first rear-engined car (right)

Some Maserati action

Comment

And if anyone happens to remember my ongoing dream project, this is it.
      I have a copy of the original blueprints for this exact car. Jim Rathmann’s 1960 Indy 500 winning Watson roadster.

I’m working on a deal to get a chassis table from an old Boeing plant right now, so maybe the project will start… eventually… ?

Comment

Oh and then we had seats on the 7 yard line at Lucas Oil Stadium for the Cowboys v Colts game. :cool:

Comment

That's awesome, and LMFAO @ the shirts
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Very cool.
            Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

awesome pics!

Being a lifelong Al Sr. fan, i was especially digging the #2 Johnny Lightning Special.
              95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

http://www.bborr.com/2013/2013results.html#115

Comment

Originally posted by openroadracer View Post
                awesome pics!

Being a lifelong Al Sr. fan, i was especially digging the #2 Johnny Lightning Special.
                Yeah the history is just insane. My grandpa used to build radiators for AJ Foyt... It's pretty neat to see his cars on displays.

Comment

You should just have a Strychnine stickied thread with all your essays/photo essays/and adventures on it. That, or a separate blog with all that on it, and linked to a sticky on here. That'd be cool.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                    You should just have a Strychnine stickied thread with all your essays/photo essays/and adventures on it. That, or a separate blog with all that on it, and linked to a sticky on here. That'd be cool.

You know, that's not a bad idea.

Comment

You should have let me known you were going! I lived there for 10 years. I could have told you a few places you should check out! As you've probably found out, downtown is cool. Take a bit of time and go through the NCAA HQ. I thought it was really cool. Obviously Broad Ripple is a "hip" place to be but depending upon where you are staying Keystone at the crossing "can" be cool too. (Champs). Lots of snow there. That's a bummer. Fall Creek Parkway can be fun. Also, if you're ever there in the Summer be sure to head down to Greenwood and check out The Suds for weekly and ad hoc car shows. Truly a GREAT place! I miss Indy more than you'll ever know, it really is a very cool city. Enjoy!
                      Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                      There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
                        Truly a GREAT place! I miss Indy more than you'll ever know, it really is a very cool city. Enjoy!
                        Definitely. It's a pretty cool city. We stayed downtown in the new hotels being built for the super bowl next year. I love the monument in the circle and the world war monument down the street.

Hung out for a bit at Jullian's, Alcatraz Brewery and some others, but the best was last night.

St Elmo's steakhouse is damn amazing. *droooool*

Comment

Great pics! Lots of history there.
                          WRX

Comment

When's the Pittsburgh whiskey fest, Matt?
                            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Someday, about 4-5 years from now, I'll be heading out with you on these weekend jaunts.

Comment

Working...
                              X