Must do's in Chicago for weekend get away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must do's in Chicago for weekend get away

The wife and I have never stayed in Chicago longer than a lay over between flights. What are a couple must do activities or sight seeing destinations we must see and do in Chicago. We took advantage of a cheap air fare deal, and a free hotel room, and a great rental car deal. We will land in ORD on a Friday mid-morning and leave Sunday morning, the second week of August. It's a quick stay but we squeezed it in SANS kids before they start school. We needed a get away alone, prior to our week at Disney and beaches in FLA in September.

eat at portillos is you have time, and def. eat at giordanos pizza. im no food expert like every other dick on here, but i liked them both.

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Ever been to Wrigley?

P1's should appreciate that one. LOL

Comment

Check out Navy Pier and the "magnificent mile". And, if you get the chance, punch Rahm Emmanuel right in the mouth.
        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

So far on our list:

Eat lunch Friday at some Pizzeria and have the infamous Chicago Deep dish

See the Sears tower or whatever it has been renamed

Ride the giant Farris wheel on the pier

Comment

Being a foodie, all my extra curricular activities revolve around food. You have to go to Al's to get a hot Italian beef sammich. Don't be a pussy, either. Load that shit up with hot and sweet peppers. Then do the Philly lean while eating it.
            Al’s #1 Italian Beef has been the sandwich of Chicago for over 80 years, a true food icon, winner of over 150 culinary & critic awards, and has become a destination for people from across the world.

You HAVE to get a Chicago dog from a street vendor.

I've heard good things about Portillo's, but never been myself. Gino's is also good for pizza, as is Uno's.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Lou Malnati's is supposed to be some good deep dish pizza. I thought it was over rated but then again I despise most things Chicago. Definitely try and hit a Cubs game and boo the hell out of them.

Comment

My uncle and I went to london last year and since we were flying standby, it was impossible to get out of dfw so we flew to chicago and was going to catch the first flight out the next morning. In a very "hangover"ish manner, we stepped out of our hotel around 9 and didn't stop partying till 5 or 6 am and pulled an all nighter and just slept on the plane. I've been wanting to go back ever since

Comment

A good place for authentic deep dish is Pizza Uno. Portillo's is also a must. The Museum of Science and Industry is also cool. I like Frank Lloyd Wright's work and a lot of his work can be seen around the city. I'm not sure if it's worth a trip to most people but maybe you can find a map to keep an eye out around the city if you're close.
                  An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by TEAMJACOB View Post
                    My uncle and I went to london last year and since we were flying standby, it was impossible to get out of dfw so we flew to chicago and was going to catch the first flight out the next morning. In a very "hangover"ish manner, we stepped out of our hotel around 9 and didn't stop partying till 5 or 6 am and pulled an all nighter and just slept on the plane. I've been wanting to go back ever since
                    Excellent contribution.

On the productive side:
                    • Navy Pier
                    • Portillos
                    • Al's
                    • Gene and Georgetti's
                    • Ginos and Pizzeria Uno
                    • Magnificent Mile
                    • Sears Tower

Comment

+1 on giordanos. The spinach pizza is way better than it sounds.

Comment

x2 on portillo's. cheap, huge selection and it is great.

Comment

This thread has me craving pizza. Anyone know of a deep dish chicago style place in Dallas?

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                            This thread has me craving pizza. Anyone know of a deep dish chicago style place in Dallas?
                            you already have food cooked for this week asshole!

god bless.
                            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                              you already have food cooked for this week asshole!

god bless.
                              Yea, but pizza sounds damn good on Friday or Saturday night.

Comment

Working...
                              X