Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't clean your outside unit! Best AC units on the market?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't clean your outside unit! Best AC units on the market?

My old AC unit is from 03 outside,3.5 ton, and like 2009 inside I think IIRC and a 4 ton. So all year my AC has been doing fine, maintaining 75 ish. Well I have had several folks out over the last year to give me estimates and a guy the other day that was considering dropping me in a two stage Lennox for my F250 or somewhere around 6k for a single stage 4 ton set up if I went that route. He is looking at my set up and mentions I should clean my outside unit.

The next day I think man he is right, leaves like to gather around it during the winter and it gets dirty. So I clean the damn thing. It has been like two years since I cleaned it good. Well in cleaning it, the damn thing became more efficient, and started freezing up. Two days I had to cycle it manually to get it to defrost and cool. Figured it was low in Freon and sure enough 1.5 pounds. My guy puts about a pound in a year.

So anyways, my normal guy, who lives super close now and always comes out the same day I call with no up charge for weekends quoted me around 6k for a new 4 ton Goodman. I keep reading online Goodman is not great but it is mostly in the install that counts. Goodman any good fellas? He did talk me out of the two stage. He said they are spectacular until they break. I am sure he will put anything in I want. I like him alot because the other guy just asked my house size and quoted without looking. This guy, has lots of special tools, talks crazy science on ac units, and wants to replace the copper lines and a few attic hoses.

Oh and Reliant air! Sir for just 12k we can put a unit in. In their defense it was two stage with UV but still. Hell I can add UV lights.

So whats is your experience with AC units? The one time not looking at best unit for the buck but want something reliable. Lennox, Goodman, Train?????
    Whos your Daddy?

Goodman is the brand you see at cheap as hell apartment complexes. Not that it means they're bad but they are cheap. Every installer is going to have their preferred brand. Lennox and Trane are both great.

If the expansion valve is freezing up I doubt you need an outside unit. Make sure your inside filter is clean. It's either an airflow problem, the system isn't charged correctly or there could be moisture in the system. The valve itself could be stopped up or otherwise damaged.

You generally replace the outside unit when it either won't run even with a hot start kit or it costs so much to run it'll pay for itself in a few years time with a newer more efficient model.

If you're dropping $6k+you might want to research mini-split systems. I run a window unit in my office but my converted garage is usually 2-3 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. I'm considering adding a 2 zone for those rooms and losing the window unit.

Comment

Man, I'm torn, but my last two houses and have been Trane, my first house I bought I replaced with a Lennox and it still running and it was bought new '98, I went by the old homestead and its still there.
      The last two homes I bought new and they had the 14 SEER 3.5T and worked great, they would keep 68* at night and 75* during the day both 2300sqft 1-stories.

Now this new home I bought is right at 4k sqft 1-story and it has three 16 SEER's and they are all Lennox, they run very efficient but my house has a very low HERS rating too, so far they are working great. Up until last month, my energy bill was $150.ish, last month it jumped to $200.ish.
      The two story home in Allen I had for 14 years, the A/C units sucked, they were Goodmans, one lasted 4 years and needed a compressor and then the coil took a shit a couple of years later. Replaced the entire unit with a Lennox. The upstairs finally threw in the towel right before I moved out and it got a Lennox, that house was very inefficient, the highest energy bill was $650. and then I went to average billing @ $350 a month, I couldn't wait to get out of that energy eater.
      I would recommend a Lennox 16 SEER and replace the entire system and get a Radiant barrier in your attic roof panels, Solar screens and enjoy lower temps and light energy bills.
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Just get whatever and properly maintain it.. I’m sure they all come from China.. my builder grade outlasted my buddies trane at my old house
        "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          I’m sure they all come from China..
          Not Goodman, MFG. in Houston.

Comment

They're all the same other than Lenox and trane. Lenox are expensive to fix.

My house I went with trane units.

5 ton 16 seer variable speed heat pump was 6700 with tax

Same specs
            Goodman 5200
            Lenox 5500

If ya want my guys number shoot a pm

Comment

BTW your guy is high as fuck I installed Tham same unit he quoted you on a flip we did late last year was 4000 otd

Comment

My house, to be built in the mid eighties was built fairly well. I think, it has what is called Silvawool insulation, although it could use a top off. I did install new energy efficient windows a year after we moved in and solar screens. Also there are only two double doors on the back and those have been coated. Giant dog door could be losing some but it is a security boss and they are fantastic. So pool, shitty ac unit, pond, large aquarium and a water feature, my bill was 290.00 last month. I do have a good rate right now though.

So Goodman is out as I suspected. Oh it would help to mention I have a gas furnace. I know that jumps it up some.

I may hit you up for that number. This guy has always cut me a great deal at this point.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                  AC has been doing fine, maintaining 75 ish.

Man, I'm sweating thinking of that.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                    My house, to be built in the mid eighties was built fairly well. I think, it has what is called Silvawool insulation, although it could use a top off. I did install new energy efficient windows a year after we moved in and solar screens. Also there are only two double doors on the back and those have been coated. Giant dog door could be losing some but it is a security boss and they are fantastic. So pool, shitty ac unit, pond, large aquarium and a water feature, my bill was 290.00 last month. I do have a good rate right now though.

So Goodman is out as I suspected. Oh it would help to mention I have a gas furnace. I know that jumps it up some.

I may hit you up for that number. This guy has always cut me a great deal at this point.
                    Where are you? I'm super happy with the service we use for maintenance and repairs. Crossing my fingers I don't have to replace anything soon though, but I've asked him about a secondary unit, and the pricing was in line with anything else I've seen. Veteran company and local to me, so I'm partial to them. Frisco/Prosper area if you want info.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                      Where are you? I'm super happy with the service we use for maintenance and repairs. Crossing my fingers I don't have to replace anything soon though, but I've asked him about a secondary unit, and the pricing was in line with anything else I've seen. Veteran company and local to me, so I'm partial to them. Frisco/Prosper area if you want info.
                      Way south of that in Waxahachie. I have gotten multiple estimates now. War Machines guy was the cheapest by a decent chunk but he had no interest in changing out the copper. My guy was not too far off though if you figure in the copper and covering, police friendly, and lives close for super fast warranty work. Like I bicycle by his house all the time now that he has moved. He is pricing me a Trane Tomorrow. He did remind me my inside furnace is a Goodman from 1999 and he mentioned they were local and shared compressors with the big brands. Like they say most of the issue is not the equipment it is the install, and he does know his shit. The other guy is still tempting though. I still laugh at fucking Reliant.

The bad thing is I am looking at refinishing my pool (I need one skimmer for sure), and well, you know I gutted the floors and cabinet in the master. F doing the master shower but I may pay a guy. I knew I shouldn't have started, it was just going to be the cabinet I swear. Everyday I walk in there and think, laying the floors is not rocket science. Hell I have the saws and cutter, buckets, etc, from the last time. 65 square feet then the tub step.

Trying to stay debt free.
                      Last edited by kingjason; 08-14-2020, 03:23 AM.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Here call this guy, he will change copper and cheap too, tell him Billy sent ya. +1 214-713-5052 adam

Comment

We moved last year and the new house has a 4yr old goodman inside and outside unit. Cools fine and bills seem reasonable.

Twice we've had to replace the pc board that controls the integrated fan relay. Condensation corroded stuff, it's just bare components not encased in epoxy or anything mounted inside the cabinet. Cheap junk, luckily replaced under warranty. I may pick up one and insulate it myself the next time it goes out.
                          Justin

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
                            Here call this guy, he will change copper and cheap too, tell him Billy sent ya. +1 214-713-5052 adam
                            I sent him a text. Thanks

Originally posted by the spindoctor View Post
                            We moved last year and the new house has a 4yr old goodman inside and outside unit. Cools fine and bills seem reasonable.

Twice we've had to replace the pc board that controls the integrated fan relay. Condensation corroded stuff, it's just bare components not encased in epoxy or anything mounted inside the cabinet. Cheap junk, luckily replaced under warranty. I may pick up one and insulate it myself the next time it goes out.
                            Yeah I might be a Lennox or Trane guy, Costco carries Lennox and they don't fuck around on anything.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
                              Thanks Billy

Grove AC for the win. Got the 4 Ton Official Trane after reading about that one and the Trucool (Trane knock off) that was 700 cheaper. Guys knocked it out in about 5 hours. I mean, I might have been able to go with a 3.5 ton, I can here the air blasting out of the vents now and this condenser is twice as big as the first. Saved a cool G and still got new copper, pad, gas lines, and thermo. To think Reliant wanted more than twice as much. I watched them do most of it, just out of curiosity, looked like they knew that they were doing. Glad I got the new pad, in the winter my trees bury the first inch or so,but now it is well off the ground.

He originally told me two weeks because of equipment delays. I called him Tuesday and he was like how about tomorrow. I was like , to eyeball it? He said no to install. I guess after he checked they were out of something, so two days latter and here we are. I swear something on the original system said 1993! I didn't want to spend the cash but I knew at some point that bitch was going to die. I never know who to tip anymore but I tipped my installers!
                              Last edited by kingjason; 08-28-2020, 03:14 PM.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                              X