Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hot does the upper radiator hose get? Gen 1 1994 Lightning

1994 Ford lightning

How hot does the upper radiator hose get? It feels super hot to me and lower hose isnt hot. But my truck isn't over heating in 85 degree weather and my temp gauge barely reaches to "N". Maybe I'm panicking over nothing but that upper radiator hose is super hot to the touch.

I've got
    ..180 degree thermostat
    ..13 pound radiator cap
    ..A free flowing water pump and radiator
    ..a new temp sensor

I don't know.

Comment

thanks brad

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
        thanks brad
        You got it, bro.

Comment

Upper hose is always way hotter than the lower. Get an IR thermometer if it's really bothering you.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
            Upper hose is always way hotter than the lower. Get an IR thermometer if it's really bothering you.
            will do i guess

Comment

It's gotta be at least 180 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                It's gotta be at least 180 degrees.
                i guess i should've put a 160 in it! i checked and thats the oem is 160

Comment

I'd find it hard to believe that 160 is oem for anything epa regulated but it's pre obd2 so I guess it's possible. There are some vehicles that have a 180 thermostat factory but they put the thermostat in the lower hose to block mounting and the vehicle will still run in the 200 degree range. The hotter you can safely run the engine the more efficient it will be. Colder isn't necessary better. If your gauge isn't showing its running hot and you have no symptoms of runni g hot, leave it be and quit worrying about it.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                    I'd find it hard to believe that 160 is oem for anything epa regulated but it's pre obd2 so I guess it's possible. There are some vehicles that have a 180 thermostat factory but they put the thermostat in the lower hose to block mounting and the vehicle will still run in the 200 degree range. The hotter you can safely run the engine the more efficient it will be. Colder isn't necessary better. If your gauge isn't showing its running hot and you have no symptoms of runni g hot, leave it be and quit worrying about it.
                    thank you! I'm not worried anymore i figured out my problem. O'Reilly Auto Parts sold me a bad thermostat

yes 160 degree is stock but I've been running 180 for years

via Imgflip Meme Generator
                    Last edited by scootro; 04-13-2020, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Both my Oreilly First Call and Napa ProLink show 192 to be oe recommended temp with 180 and 160 being optional lower temp thermostats. Like I said, not saying 160 can't be factory, but 23 years experience in auto repair with modern factory fuel injection says that it is highly unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                        Both my Oreilly First Call and Napa ProLink show 192 to be oe recommended temp with 180 and 160 being optional lower temp thermostats. Like I said, not saying 160 can't be factory, but 23 years experience in auto repair with modern factory fuel injection says that it is highly unlikely.
                        hmmm it could be david

Comment

Working...
                        X