Another WWDFWMD thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another WWDFWMD thread

If you had an older vehicle and planned on keeping it for a long time, would you be ok with dropping several grand into it to keep it like new?

I planned on going thru my 94 F150 and basically making it a new truck since i don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. Has 250k on it, and i don't wanna have to worry about anything. But jesus fuck i started gathering a parts list, and 3/4 of the way thru I've surpassed what I paid for the damn truck! Paid $3900 for it, and have a parts list total of $4200.

I know if i ever sell it, I'm just gonna eat the cost of the parts, cuz I'll be lucky to get what I originally paid for it.

Is it worth having peace of mind to shell out that kinda cash?

Sent from my LGL82VL using Tapatalk
    "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Originally posted by asphaltjunkie View Post
    If you had an older vehicle and planned on keeping it for a long time, would you be ok with dropping several grand into it to keep it like new?

I planned on going thru my 94 F150 and basically making it a new truck since i don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. Has 250k on it, and i don't wanna have to worry about anything. But jesus fuck i started gathering a parts list, and 3/4 of the way thru I've surpassed what I paid for the damn truck! Paid $3900 for it, and have a parts list total of $4200.

I know if i ever sell it, I'm just gonna eat the cost of the parts, cuz I'll be lucky to get what I originally paid for it.

Is it worth having peace of mind to shell out that kinda cash?

What are you planing on doing to it? I normally replace the tires, every part in the cooling system beside the heater core, battery, belts and related idler pulleys/tensioners, brakes, and the front end in every used car that I buy and it never adds up to that much.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
      What are you planing on doing to it? I normally replace the tires, every part in the cooling system beside the heater core, battery, belts and related idler pulleys/tensioners, brakes, and the front end in every used car that I buy and it never adds up to that much.
      Complete brake system job, full front end, cooling system, a/c, suspension, charging system, full tune up. All brand new parts. And that's just the shit I can do myself. Still gotta factor in a gear swap and getting shifter issues fixed that I'd rather leave to a professional.

"We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Sure if it fits your needs and foresable future needs...

I bought an older diesel and have put $2k into it with probably another $5k left to get it exactly where I want. I don't drive it every day, fits my needs perfect, and I refused to pay $60k for a new one.

Comment

If those systems were wore the fuck out I'd do what you plan on. If not hit the stuff that is worn out or keeping it from being a nice comfortable daily and drive it.

Comment

If it's a regular cab short bed or a 4wd I'd consider doing something with it. Otherwise you could spend the cash and equity on something substantially newer/nicer.

Comment

I know this struggle well. I have a beater that I just spent what equates to 1/3 the value to fix shit that has been broken for awhile, but I just lived with it. I've been driving it 5 years and plan to keep it around forever, but I'm a realist. Cash cars are supposed to save you money. It's an old truck and no matter how much $$$$ you throw at it, something will still break. I'd spend as little as possible while still building it how I want it.

Comment

Wrestling with that thought now. I'm doing some basic stuff on my 2000 Silverado RCSB to get it looking nice, but I'm constantly thinking about putting money into it.

Like the paint, for example. I'm spending money to put a new oem grille and upper bumper plastic on it and have it painted body color along with painting a panel behind the pass door, which is $650. But while doing that I'm noticing the rock chips on the hood, the hail dents in the rear quarter, and the condition of the original paint that while good looking at 10 feet, is showing it's age with all the little things that have accumulated over the years.

Along with what I'm sure is good amount of deferred maintenance, I'm trying to decide whether to put the money into it, or bite the bullet and buy s newer truck.

Comment

Or... spend 8 grand on a truck that's in better condition.
                  When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Ca$$$$$$$$$h cars
                    Originally posted by davbrucas
                    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Damn, are you replacing EVERYTHING? Or just wear items with the brakes, suspension, and front end?
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                        Or... spend 8 grand on a truck that's in better condition.
                        Yeah, it's not a matter of comparing the cost to update versus what you paid for the truck, it's all-in fixed price compared to what you'd spend on a replacement vehicle.

Comment

You can't replace a good old truck. Shop around for a better truck for 7 grand, they would all need the work that your old one does.

Going through the same struggle with our 06 silverado. Prices on trucks are stupid for anything with 100k miles or less with a v8, really considering just re doing the whole thing with a parts truck with a good interior and a straight bed.

It's easier to fix what you've got now than to find another truck which is going to start you back at needing maintenance items eventually anyways

Comment

I've got an 06 rcsb Silverado that I decided to keep so I got it heads, cam, and a single 76mm.

Stock sucks even for old people.

Comment

I would probably step over a dead body for the right old pickup.
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                              X