Interior Coatings, Thermal Barrier/Sound deadener/Bedliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior Coatings, Thermal Barrier/Sound deadener/Bedliner

Does anyone have experience with a liquid based thermal coating for interiors?
    My jeep will be a submarine and exposed to some harsh conditions. Heat and durability are my main concern. I don't care for the stick on butyl type material since I will be hosing the floors down and draining via scuppers. So far I have come up with 3 options for my Jeep's interior:

Lizard skin is a latex based that I don't think will hold up as well on the roof. With a bedliner topcoat. Lizardskin recommends putting down their sound barrier as a base coat for the Thermal barrier coating. (3 liquid products)

Al's Heat Noise Reducer seems like a decent all-in-one. With a bedliner topcoat. (2 liquid products)

DIY route of mixing ceramic microspheres "vacuum beads" into a base coating such as bedliner. With a bedliner topcoat. (1 liquid products)

What's my best bet? Right now the floors are cooking and I plan on replacing the cat with a fresh heat-shielded high-flow cat but it needs a protective coating regardless.

Have you ever wondered what the heck ceramic microspheres "vacuum beads" are?
    How about 3000 psi hollow glass microspheres too?
    I know one thing, they sure are proud of that stuff, sometimes costing
    $100 for a quart container. "Just add to the fill in the blank coat
    of spreadable paint stuff ".

How about a 50lb sack of glass beads from say SOT for $20 or so.
    Also that is how some of those reflective signs are made too!

Comment

Originally posted by garycrist View Post
      Have you ever wondered what the heck ceramic microspheres "vacuum beads" are?
      How about 3000 psi hollow glass microspheres too?
      I know one thing, they sure are proud of that stuff, sometimes costing
      $100 for a quart container. "Just add to the fill in the blank coat
      of spreadable paint stuff ".

How about a 50lb sack of glass beads from say SOT for $20 or so.
      Also that is how some of those reflective signs are made too!
      Have you used the glass beads before?

Hy-Tech sells the microspheres in packages, $55 will cover a package for 5 gallons of liquid.

Comment

I did a whole lot of research into radiant barriers for interior walls, ceilings
        and attics. Lots of "coatings" were just latex paint and glass bead media.
        Also the fiberglass guys use the stuff too.(glass beads)

Comment

At work they used a product called Temp-coat 101 to spray on steam traps and some jacketed machines. The guy used a gun that you'd spray bed liner on with, he sprayed a couple coats on and you can put your hand on a steam trap now and it's only warm. I thought it would be great to spray in floor pans.

Comment

Lizard skin is good shit. I know quite a few folks who have it inside and out on their cars and they'll swear by it.

Comment

Working...
            X