Brake Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Question

So I finally got finished today throwing the brakes on my 2000 F250. I hit a snag last week, my front calipers were in good shape but when I did the rear one dust boot was melted on one side and the other had a stuck pin, and two melted pucks. I love that they swapped the rear caliper design 12/99 and the rear rotors 03/99 or something, so that caused some head scratching. I mean with 38x14 tires it stopped ok but not up to par. So I stole a Hawk sector 27 kit for the rear from tire rack for 99.00 then bought some matching front rotors and Hawk severe duty pads for the front. Went ahead and dove into the stainless lines also since they kind of rigged the lines when they put the 8 inch lift on. Bled everything all pretty and off I went.

That bastard will start locking the tires at moderate pedal pressure now which is fantastic but it did something kind of weird. So my first 4 stops were 30 to 5 mph mild pressure no issues. Then I did the two 40 to 5mph with heavy pressure and it stopped like a champ but once the tires started squawking it felt like it would release a little. Never did it with the other brakes but I couldn't even come close to locking them. I did not try to stay on them down to zero since I was just doing the break in so I was letting off at about 5 mph. Tomorrow I may jamb down on them and come to a stop. Is it the ABS I am feeling and just kind of weird with the big ass tires orrrr? I feel like it is but just curious if anyone has experienced this. Been awhile since I put some high quality brakes on a big ass truck. It stops fantastic with one toe now so I am not to concerned unless something sounds like it is acting up.
    Last edited by kingjason; 04-01-2020, 07:18 PM.
    Whos your Daddy?

Just guessing but I would bet that your ABS is what you are feeling.

Comment

Yeah, after driving it today I am going to say the same thing. I think it is just a different feeling with the big meats. Every pulse is probably a little longer distance than with standard tires. Hawk never fails to impress me though.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Do you have a Speedometer Calibrator installed?

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
          Do you have a Speedometer Calibrator installed?
          I personally did not put one on there but the speedometer is accurate on it.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
            I personally did not put one on there but the speedometer is accurate on it.
            Some of the higher end calibrators might help with the ABS issue, but if you're ok with it, and the speedo is good, i would leave it.

Comment

yeah, it's the abs. Bigger tires play with the ratio of pulses, so it feels funky.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
              X