**Dfw Credit Card Gurus....advice needed**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **Dfw Credit Card Gurus....advice needed**

Hoping to get some insight on any possible credit card deals that are out there from the Dfw credit gurus. I know i know i dont particularly care for CC myself as i only buy what i can afford with cash and the ones I do have get paid off every month. However I am Getting married in the spring of next year so we are making final decisions on venues and all the other stuff associated with the big day. This is obviously going to be a large expense for us and would much rather pay it off 0% over a year than to fork over all Choo Choo money now. On top of that we figure we are going to be spending this money regardless so why not accumulate points off it as well. And hopefully use that towards the honeymoon. Due to Dfwballer influence I will have cigar rolling station/scotch bar as well.... well maybe lol

Looking for:
    0% apr for 12+ months
    Cash back
    Points points points....

I know I know plastic slave to almighty God of FICO.

Amex Black or go home.

I personally use the capitol one quick silver " excellent credit " card. When I signed up for it it was 12 months 0% interest and $300 back after you spend your first $500. 1% cash back on all monies spent and certain things like fuel, food, ect would be 5%.

It's changed since then, so you may want to research it.

Comment

I am not a credit expert nor do I claim to be the greatest with money, but I have stayed at a holiday inn and have been in your shoes.

I highly recommend just paying cash for what you can afford and not play the cc game. The points seem tempting and are a great tool if you are in a normal steady living situation.

Preparing for a wedding and wedding plans is NOT a normal living situation. It is very easy o take the bait and charge up a card for that type of event. Don't take the bait. You do not want to start your marriage off with debt. I know its not your intention to spend more than what you have, but preparing for a wedding creates so many opportunities to overspend.

Just my .02 and life experience. Good luck man.

Comment

Nothing like starting marriage with a bunch of debt wasted on a single day of your life....

As for the credit cards...you will probably need to do two rounds.. One to get points and spend on for the wedding and a 2nd round to do balance transfers getting it all down to 0% for 12-15months.

Thats being said, you probably need to wait. Most promos with credit cards that involve a spending requirement to get xxxxx points or $ will have a 1-3 month timeframe to spend that usually large-ish amount of money. Many cards want you to spend $3k in 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
          I am not a credit expert nor do I claim to be the greatest with money, but I have stayed at a holiday inn and have been in your shoes.

I highly recommend just paying cash for what you can afford and not play the cc game. The points seem tempting and are a great tool if you are in a normal steady living situation.

Preparing for a wedding and wedding plans is NOT a normal living situation. It is very easy o take the bait and charge up a card for that type of event. Don't take the bait. You do not want to start your marriage off with debt. I know its not your intention to spend more than what you have, but preparing for a wedding creates so many opportunities to overspend.

Just my .02 and life experience. Good luck man.
          Thanks for the feedback and you have a valid point for sure. I plan on paying it off by the time the wedding day comes so it's not something I plan to start our marriage with. It's relatively the same amount I spent on our trip that we got engaged on in the beginning of May if you factor in the ring and trip combined. We traveled to San Diego, La, got engaged in Pacific Grove, San Fran, Napa, and then finished it off at a suite at the ARIA in Vegas. It was a 4400 mile road trip btw. Which is why I feel it could be paid off in a year especially if we do no other vacations.

Ideally we were going to just go with small group of family to Napa but when all our friends and family wanted to celebrate with us she decided to have it local. So now we're stuck lol

Comment

Discover is offering double cash rewards right now for 12 months along with 0% for same time.

Comment

sc281 usually has a good breakdown of everything going at the moment.

Comment

Is it ever possible to get a creditor to lower your interest rate? I've got one line of credit that... I'm just not interested in keeping unless they want to lower it to reasonable level.
                WH

Comment

Just got an offer in the mail from amex for 0% @ 15 months

Comment

The discover double points sounds like a good deal. Remember opening up multiple cc accts doesn't help your score. Leaving thousands charged up on a credit card probably won't help it either. I keep a small balance on my CC at the due date and pay off most of it every month. This has really helped my score over the past few years. Try to keep your utilization rate no more than 35% of your credit line.
                    Last edited by Captain Crawfish; 06-07-2015, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                      Is it ever possible to get a creditor to lower your interest rate? I've got one line of credit that... I'm just not interested in keeping unless they want to lower it to reasonable level.

You can ask. I did but was lowered for a few month.

Comment

I keep forgetting to balance transfer to get a 0% c.c. with another company. You should try this instead

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                          Just got an offer in the mail from amex for 0% @ 15 months
                          I did too. I have a small amount on one card, that recently went to interest after 18 months.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Looks slow

Comment

Ha! My replies are going into different threads again.

Comment

Working...
                              X