Roll Pin holder tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll Pin holder tool

So I was noticing how much easier it seemed to be to install roll pins when you have a holder. I was not about to part with $15 each for the ones from Brownel, so what did i do? I made it. It cost about $4 per size for the materials and it gives you enough for 2 sets for $8. I found the tube and piano wire in Ace Hardware. The video is at this link on youtube. I didnt know how to post it here so you'll just have to youtube it.
    Last edited by Homemade; 04-18-2011, 07:23 PM.
    "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... one is by the sword... the other is by debt." John Adams 1826

that's interesting. I guess I see how it works. I personally just hold the damn thing and hit it with my hammer to seat it, then I use a punch to run it home. So this is just to get the pin in the hole, it has nothing to do with hitting it in, does it?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I intended this to replace the punch completely. It keeps your fingers away from the pin and hammer... and there is nothing to mar the finish. I assume you have seen the holders Brownels sells. I think it also helps keep the pin straight which seems to make it drive easier.
      Last edited by Homemade; 04-18-2011, 06:36 PM.
      "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... one is by the sword... the other is by debt." John Adams 1826

Comment

Originally posted by Homemade View Post
        I intended this to replace the punch completely. It keeps your fingers away from the pin and hammer... and there is nothing to mar the finish. I assume you have seen the holders Brownels sells. I think it also helps keep the pin straight which seems to make it drive easier.
        Okay now I get it.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Very cool and living up to your screen name. I like it!
          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

I used them this friday and they work better than expected, no taping and no damage to the finish!

Comment

I used them this friday and they work better than expected, no taping and no damage to the finish!
              So when can I get one?

Comment

I built 4 lowers in about 30 minutes last night with nothing more than 2 punches and a dead blow hammer, no scratches on anything. Theres a few tricks you can do to make life easier, however I don't know if any of them would benefit you guys because it takes quite a few lowers to get the hang of it. I think this idea is pretty good if you don't want to learn the BFH approach, but I'd like to show you the easier way if you plan on doing several.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                  I built 4 lowers in about 30 minutes last night with nothing more than 2 punches and a dead blow hammer, no scratches on anything. Theres a few tricks you can do to make life easier, however I don't know if any of them would benefit you guys because it takes quite a few lowers to get the hang of it. I think this idea is pretty good if you don't want to learn the BFH approach, but I'd like to show you the easier way if you plan on doing several.
                  Did you use a vice at all?
                  Originally posted by Jester
                  Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                  He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                  Originally posted by Denny
                  What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                  FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    Did you use a vice at all?
                    Nope

Comment

I can put one together in about 10 minutes, using a tiny table and my lap. As for the roll pins, I use a bunch of electrical tape on the receiver to protect it, then a punch and a tack hammer (which is almost like it was made for this job).
                      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
                        So when can I get one?
                        I got an extra set you can have just have to figure out how to get them to you.

Comment

I got an extra set you can have just have to figure out how to get them to you.
                          Sounds good where are you located? I normally use tape but I still end up messing it up with small scratches. Id like to find a better way.

Comment

I live in north fort worth but work in Irving. I will be home tomorrow if you wanna meet up.

Comment

I live in north fort worth but work in Irving. I will be home tomorrow if you wanna meet up.
                              I work in Grand Prairie, off of Beltline and 30. I can meet you in Irving during my lunch hour if that's better for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X