Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

26% of Americans think the Sun revolves around the Earth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26% of Americans think the Sun revolves around the Earth.

My first reaction is WTF? But I guess I should not be surprised when considering the state of our education system in this country. Nor should it be surprising when we have literal creationist teaching that dinosaurs existed when homo sapiens walked the Earth.

Twenty-six percent in a survey of 2,200 people conducted in 2012 answered that the Sun revolves around the Earth, and fewer than half correctly answered a question about human origins.

A quarter of Americans surveyed could not correctly answer that the Earth revolves around the sun and not the other way around, according to a report out Friday from the National Science Foundation.

The survey of 2,200 people in the United States was conducted by the NSF in 2012 and released on Friday at an annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Chicago.

To the question "Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth," 26 percent of those surveyed answered incorrectly.

In the same survey, just 39 percent answered correctly (true) that "The universe began with a huge explosion" and only 48 percent said "Human beings, as we know them today, developed from earlier species of animals."

Just over half understood that antibiotics are not effective against viruses.

As alarming as some of those deficits in science knowledge might appear, Americans fared better on several of the questions than similar, but older surveys of their Chinese and European counterparts.

Only 66 percent of people in a 2005 European Union poll answered the basic astronomy answer correctly. However, both China and the EU fared significantly better (66 percent and 70 percent, respectively) on the question about human evolution.

In a survey compiled by the National Opinion Research Center from various sources, Americans seemed to generally support science research and expressed the greatest interest in new medical discoveries and local school issues related to science. They were least interested in space exploration, agricultural developments and international and foreign policy issues related to science.

I am dead fucking serious.

Comment

Taking bets on Blakeski being contacted for this poll.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
        Taking bets on Blakeski being contacted for this poll.

I want to rescind this post. He would have answered that the sun revolved around 'Murica.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          I want to rescind this post. He would have answered that the sun revolved around 'Murica.
          The earth revolves around America, and the sun revolves around the earth.

America, we don't need uneducated Mexicans when we're boiling over with fucking idiots for citizens.

Comment

not surprised at all. one of the late night talk shows polled women about ending women's sufferage a few years back and 99 out of 100 said they would vote to end it. it was sad that many women didnt know what it was
            07 f250-family truckster
            08 Denali -baby hauler
            52 f1-rust bucket
            05 Jeep tj. Buggy
            livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
              not surprised at all. one of the late night talk shows polled women about ending women's sufferage a few years back and 99 out of 100 said they would vote to end it. it was sad that many women didnt know what it was
              Shit, women's rights have fucked single folks. Everything is priced for a 2 income household.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                Shit, women's rights have fucked single folks. Everything is priced for a 2 income household.
                They've fucked single folks, or those without adult jobs?
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
                  Suffrage - it was a skit on The Man Show.
                  Originally posted by davbrucas
                  I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I dated a girl a while back that doesn't believe that we've been to the moon. Fortunately there wasn't a whole lot of talking done in that relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                      www.flatearthsociety.org

I am dead fucking serious.
                      Ftfy

Welcome to The Flat Earth Society, home of the flat earth forums and the largest library of Flat Earth Society journals, newsletters, interviews, and books.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                        They've fucked single folks, or those without adult jobs?
                        Define adult job. More than minimum wage? At minimum wage you still aren't going to make shit with two incomes. I'm talking about national averages.

Originally posted by jefehbk View Post
                        Thanks, I googled it and copy/pasta the link but it was all screwed up, so I typed it in (incorrectly apparently.)

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                          I dated a girl a while back that doesn't believe that we've been to the moon. Fortunately there wasn't a whole lot of talking done in that relationship.
                          Fuck her in the ass and tell her you landed in the moon.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                            Fuck her in the ass and tell her you landed in the moon.
                            "We've established a beachhead, sir."
                            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                              "We've established a beachhead, sir."
                              We need reinforcements for a proper Eiffel Tower!

Comment

Working...
                              X